Edward - O. hummelincki

I think land animals sense atomospheric changes caused by the weather (or maybe that just IS weather ;>) but I am not sure what that does (if anything) underwater. Lightening flashes might be a more obvious detection and might signal rough seas.

sulley;155162 said:
hmmmm today is the first day since i got edward he has not come out...he is actually in the rock peeking his out every now and then...my question is it is absolutely nasty out today..60 mph winds lightning and thunderstorms etc....do you think he can sense it??

I think there is something to be said for this. I have heard the stories about elephants, right before the tsunami hit in 2004 I believe, grabing people and running with them on thier backs. Now I dont know that this story is true but I believe it could be. Just the same way that people who have had broken bones or other injurys can tell its going to rain from the pain in those areas long before there is a cloud in the sky. If the moon causes the tides then I believe it would be silly to think that our weather doesnt in some way touch them, even if its just the small vibrations like what the elephants (if its real) must have felt.

Very interesting observation. We have had some stormy weather but the thunder/lightning came in the middle of the night and noticed no odd or different behavior. Will keep an eye out for anything in the future. My dog (black lab) however turns into a pile of jello during a storm. He acts wierd even before it starts, must sense it. My daughter usually covers him with a blanket, it does comfort him.

just a update since it has been so long...edward is edward nothing too new and exciting...have noticed some growth...plus i just wanted to see if my new avatar worked :heee::heee:

okay well last week i bought the largest snail i have ever seen...it was at least 2xs the size of edward and about 3xs larger then turbo snails..it lasted a week with edward...he would go up to it and put his arm around it but that was it...today he took it down..first pic is after he wrestled it off the wall..hard to tell the size put you can probaly get the idea...2nd one was after about 30 minutes fighting and eating it...he meandered over to a rock a looked like he was stretching out..pretty cool it was the first i observed of this

Attachments

• conv_296541.jpg
    conv_296541.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 83
  • conv_296542.jpg
    conv_296542.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
You may have discovered a type of clue to keeping a snail clean-up crew. I remember a large snail that OhToo attacked (and I thought ate until I later found it crawling on the glass). It may be that smaller snails are not enough bang for the buck and will be left alone where larger ones are worth the effort. It would be interesting to put another in there to see if this repeats. The other thought I have about snails as dinner items is whether or not they have a operculum. Did this one have a trap door it could close?

it did not have the one that resembles bone...it was the kind that looks like thin shiney black metal...if that makes sense? dont know how else to explain it...the shell was the size of a raquetball....just thought it was funny watching him stretch out his legs after like they were "cramped up" from his workout...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back