Edward - O. hummelincki

It help to be able to see all the front arms when you are trying to count but the curled arm is on the correct right side :wink:

(and CaptFish is not the only envious forum member :mrgreen:)

also tonight was the first "petting" between the eyes! he came to the front glass and i thought what the heck...put my finger in and he lightly touched it so i slowly moved and petted him between the eyes for a good minute...we have played tug o war since day one but this was the first contact we have had

well edward and i had another petting episode today with his shrimp...he was actually moving his head from side to side so i could get closer to his eyes...it was really neat and indicates that they do this for their pleasure although i get quite a rush out of it

It's a surreal experience, scarey and exciting at the same time. I look forward to more photos of your beautiful Edward.
You said your son named him, is he into the Twilight books/movies? :biggrin2: That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard the name.

no no he is only 4...he went through an episode of naming things from noggin, thats where tuck came from...now he is into people names..for my reef tank a couple weeks ago i got a purple firefish and he named him fred? so who knows what the next batch will be..it was pretty cool when he got done with one side of his head he positioned it so i stroked his other side then after an elapsed time he switched it back over and so on and so on..maybe he just had a scratch lol

I keep thinking there is something they physically like (vs mental enjoyment) about getting a head massage once they know you will not eat them. The hummelincki males and the little macropuses (both my male and my female) have all been very receptive to a gentle stroking. The macopuses have gone so far as to squish between my fingers and then try to return the same way. It also makes me wonder if there is a need that we miss for skin care but it does not seem to effect the longevity if something is missing. A couple of years ago, I asked Mucktopus if she had ever seen an aculeatus get groomed by a cleaner fish and this was her reply:

I've never seen other animals clean aculeatus- they tend to clean themselves by writhing their arms. But cleaner shrimp have been reported to clean O. cyanea.

Cleaner shrimp pick off parasites though and I don't think that is what the massage is about. I have also been curious about the fact that they will let you stroke their mantle and head (between the eyes and in front of the eyes at the webbing) long before they will let you stroke the top of their arms. This seems so backwards to me since they can loose an arm without major issue.

Not all species seem to accept this kind of attention though. Some of the briareus (none of mine) have accepted petting and one of my mercs would let me tickle the back of his mantle. Neither of my female hummelincki were touch friendly but they brooded so soon after entering the tank that I can't say they are different from the males.

hmmmm today is the first day since i got edward he has not come out...he is actually in the rock peeking his out every now and then...my question is it is absolutely nasty out today..60 mph winds lightning and thunderstorms etc....do you think he can sense it??

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back