• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

EcoSystem Mud Filtration unit

chrshlst

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I was browsing the internet to find the best filtration unit for a 55 gallon bimac aquarium, and I stumble across the EcoSystem Mud filter. It claims that you no longer need a protein skimmer when using this unit. Aren't protein skimmers usefull to remove ink, however? Anywhoo, according to the sites that I visited, they all claim that by using Calupra, and a 24 hour lighting cycle on the sump, it produces tons of oxygen, and keeps your water perfectly clear and extremely healthy! Also, the Calupra practically eliminates any other algae. The filter takes practically no maintenence. WOW! Would this be a good choice of filter? Should I also get a protein skimmer?

That type of filter would probably work for a system with a light load. I think that you are suppose to have the filter on the opposite light cycle of the aquarium like a algae turf filter because plants need a dark period aka Dark Cycle, but I have only researched that type of filter and have never made one, so I would do what it says. As far as protein skimmers go you can have a octopus with out a protein skimmer although it would not hurt to have one. The reason is that unless chased I have found that they do not ink much, and if for some reason it does just do a large water change.

Our experience is that they can ink a lot. Even if they don't ink too many times, inking from an adult bimac can be significant and can turn the water almost completely black. A protein skimmer works wonders in this situation.

We're recommending a protein skimmer for octo tanks.

Nancy

Nancy said:
Our experience is that they can ink a lot. Even if they don't ink too many times, inking from an adult bimac can be significant and can turn the water almost completely black. A protein skimmer works wonders in this situation.

We're recommending a protein skimmer for octo tanks.

Nancy

Why and how often do they ink? I have only had an octopus ink if I was catching it. I'm sure each individual and species is different and I've noticed babys will ink more than the adult. But obviousely it is better to be prepared if the one you get does ink a lot by having a protien skimmer.

They will ink when startled. Even when they know you well and are very used to you, it can happen that you startle them. One morning (it was quite light in the room) I saw my bimac stuck onto the front glass, where she usually waited for me. I went over to turn on her light - not realizing that she was asleep on the glass. When the light went on, she panicked, inked a lot and escaped back to her den through a side passage. She even had to make herself smaller, something she didn't bother to do much. I was looking into the blackness when an arm cam out of the den and waved (she had learned to wave since I always waved at her).

Another time, my husband startled her, and we don't know why. In all, she inked 4 times in the 10 months I had her. Others have reported their bimacs inking, too.

Nancy

Nancy Wrote:
In all, she inked 4 times in the 10 months I had her. Others have reported their bimacs inking, too.

Well four times is four times you could be major sorry if you hadnt of had one Nancy :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

My thoughts are theres no point cheap skating when your putting an animal in your living room that really shouldnt be there, you have a responsibility to give it the finest environment you possibly can.

I could of knocked together a system a year ago which would of been second rate, on the cheap and not thought through properly. OK I may still get it wrong in the long run but at least I can say I tried :smile:

Dont get me wrong Im not havin a go, just have strong opinons since Ive seen people pick up octo's from LFS's, asked bout there systems, an thought well that'll be lucky to make a month :frown: :x :frown: :x

Thats my :twocents: anyway :smile:

On the other hand thou mate, I plan to put both a skimmer and a refugium (not caulerpa thou, prob cheatomorpha) as this will house a good clean up crew with lotsa beasties :biggrin2: :heee: :biggrin2: :heee:

If i set up a reef tank for myself again I am fairly sure that I would use a refugium with a mud based filter and keep it fairly low tech. However, i just dont think it could cope with the waste that a cephalopod can spit out!

Dont scrimp on the skimmer :smile:

Is the refugium in addition to the sump or can it be combined with the sump? Since I've seen special mud for sale, I asssume this is what you use.

Nancy

Colin Wrote:
If i set up a reef tank for myself again I am fairly sure that I would use a refugium with a mud based filter and keep it fairly low tech. However, i just dont think it could cope with the waste that a cephalopod can spit out!

Colin do you mean the likes of miracle mud :?:

an if so would you still run a canister filter on that :?:

and if yes could something other than a canister filter be used for the same effect :?:

Cheers

hi

i would make the refugium and sump combined, basically letting water enter one big tank with a partition.

Yes, miracle mud or a free cheap alternative. I wouldnt bother with a canister if it was a reef tank... no need, the bioload would be so small

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back