eBay auction - Index Fossils of North America

That is a deal! I have a couple of copies, but at that price, I might as well have another. Now, if only the Treatise... I saw a complete set, in a university basement, covered in mildew. It turns out that it was the set that belonged to my mentor(she has since passed). I pleaded with the professor to save the set.

My copy was a great price but this is also an auction so it depends upon how many people realize it is available and bid. I hope someone on the site takes an interest as I really never expected to own a copy.

Another good reference, by Shimer too, is "North American Index Fossils". It was published in 1909, so some of the names have changed, but it is full of diagrams. Generally, used copies can be found for 30 or 40 bucks.

This link will take you to a free download of the book from the California Academy of Sciences.

They also have a Kindle version that I am trying to download. Not having much luck but will try again later when the servers are not as busy. Worked on the third try so don't give up if you would prefer this version.

NEXT time, PM me that you are going to bid and I'll give you a private lesson in eBaying :sagrin:. I have not cancelled my watch for the book so I will PM you if I see it again. FYI, you may have been outbid by far more than $.50. That is the "bid increment" and the winning bidder will get the item for that much more than the next highest (your) bid. The ACTUAL bid may have been far more so don't feel badly about the $.50.

Well, I actually had to create an account to bid on this. Believe it or not (and you probably will) I've never bought anything on ebay. :oops:

The things a hobby will require you to learn :roll:.

On that subject. I destroyed my beloved Canon G9 a couple of weeks ago. My last few pictures were with a very old Minolta (3 mega pixel old) and I have been miserable about the loss. For valentines Neal decided I could go ahead and get a camera even though I have no current contract and don't have anything in the wind (meaning I had to stay tightly budgeted). I had been looking (of course) and the budget kept creeping up :roll: In addition to wanting something just like my G9, one BIG luxury I wanted was the ability to fire using a remote control only to find Canon is not the only manufacturer that has discontinued (the G9 was the first in this series NOT to have the ability) offering wireless remote operation. Initially, I was thinking about a high end "brownie" style (fixed focus) point and shoot that could be put in the water but the reviews were very bad for anything in the better picture arena. Either they leaked (many warranties were not honored and lots of complaints for Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji, and Canon) or they took low quality out of the water stills (Go-Pro, Intova) or were far too expensive right now so I dropped the sport camera thinking and started the arduous hunt, adding and subtracting what I wanted after seeing all the new features. In the end, I THINK I got what I would have bought if money was not part of the criteria (I spent about twice what I felt I could afford right now). It is not a current camera so I was able to get a good price by taking in an internet ad to Fry's. It does not have the "new cool stuff" BUT I can add two of the things I would have liked with an Eye-Fi card later on. We will see how well my Nikon P7100 and I get along soon. Hopefully I will have new acclimation pictures on Wednesday.

The things a hobby will require you to learn

..and to purchase...I hope you like your camera, I'm still learning with mine, I'm trying to focus just on fossil photography which seems to be the hardest but I think I'm getting a little better.

I am most worried about sharpness and color. It took awhile for me to set the Canon up and memorize the settings for the tanks and I would still get grainy pictures on occasion (I think Vaughn solved that mystery during our AU visit) but now I have to start all over. I found a great site to compare apples to apples (or close, no actual "i" anything :roll:). Part of the problem with using it is that you can select DSLR in the photo comparisons ... Hopefully this will initialize with a Leica, Yours, Mine and the Canon G12. Move the blinking box to see the images from all. you can also change the ISO settings (individually or for all from the primary) as well as switching to RAW for cameras that support it. Pretty cool little tool and I bookmarked it for the next time someone mentions cameras.

Interesting link, already have a headache! Sharpness and grainy are one of my issues too, and I want sharp clear enlargments. I read somewhere if you go to a smaller picture size it will help with the graininess. My camera has so many different modes with soo many different settings. Right now I'm using a manual mode for fossils where I'll mostly try to get the settings right and leave it alone and use that one just for fossils. I'll have to read through that link several times before I GET it. :roll:

You can do this! Look at the larger picture. In the picture you should see a rectangle that hase a moving border. Now look at the four images below. Each one is of the same (or close) place in the larger picture, taken by the given camera. Put your cursor on the triangle. You will see a cross with arrows (or at least the cursor will change - browser dependency). Hold down your mouse button and drag the rectangle somewhere else (I recommend using the paint brush on the left and the pile of paper - gem - clips on the green whatever). You will see the photos tanke by each of the displayed cameras. Don't be upset that the first image is way better, that camera is in a completely different category and price range but I use it to see what the picture SHOULd look like.

Unlike our cameras, the only thing you can really mess with is the ISO (film speed). You will see as the ISO increases the quality decreases. One of the things Vaughn taught me about the Canon is that I could set the ISO to not exceed a specific number and my reading says that 200 is the not to exceed number for point and shoots so you have to then work with the lighting and opening speed (F stop). Using a tripod makes a world of difference and one of the reasons I wanted the remote control was to minimize my button pushing shake with a wide aperture (I think the Canon anti-shake was a little better but I have not dedicated enough time to the new one yet as I am still intimidated).

The other was to interact at one end of the tank with the camera at the other. I found a wired remote concoction I used for the Canon but it was a pain and eventually did not use it. I've ordered a remote for this one but am not 100% sure it will work with the video.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back