• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

eating his arms

Many times octopuses in senescence will become autophagous. That means that they will eat their arms. It is usually a sign that your octopus is very close to the end of it's life. Sometimes octopuses will develop this disease before senescence, and in that case it is a serious problem. However, I doubt that your octopus has the disease; he is most likely near the end of his life.

It doesn't sound like the disease, if he had that he would have bitten the arms off at the base, right where they join the body. This sounds like old age....unless you have something else in the tank which may be harassing your octopus?

J

What kind of crabs were you feeding him? Can you be sure that the crabs didn't remove its arms?

A dime sized briareus surely wouldn't be senescent. Are you absolutely 100% positive it's a briareus?

Hmmm...

In 2 months my "Dime sized" briareus had grown like crazy.

From this:
IMG_0257.jpg

To this:
IMG_0647.jpg

If it is a briareus I'd say its growth is severely stunted and that would probably be a good indication of having something else seriously wrong with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back