eating his arms

shipposhack

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Many times octopuses in senescence will become autophagous. That means that they will eat their arms. It is usually a sign that your octopus is very close to the end of it's life. Sometimes octopuses will develop this disease before senescence, and in that case it is a serious problem. However, I doubt that your octopus has the disease; he is most likely near the end of his life.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
It doesn't sound like the disease, if he had that he would have bitten the arms off at the base, right where they join the body. This sounds like old age....unless you have something else in the tank which may be harassing your octopus?

J

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
What kind of crabs were you feeding him? Can you be sure that the crabs didn't remove its arms?

A dime sized briareus surely wouldn't be senescent. Are you absolutely 100% positive it's a briareus?

jimmy 22

O. bimaculoides
Registered
tes for sure hes a brierius and the fiddlers have no big claws. he ate all the time up untill yeserday when i noticed his missing arms

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Hmmm...

In 2 months my "Dime sized" briareus had grown like crazy.

From this:

To this:

If it is a briareus I'd say its growth is severely stunted and that would probably be a good indication of having something else seriously wrong with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Man

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak