Eating an octo

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
So I had my first taste of Octopus last weekend. I had it in an appetizer with citrus cured Tuna and shrimp with mango salsa and red caviar. The Octo was surprising in flavor...once I got past the texture. It had an odd cinnamon flavor to it, as my wife noted...kind of nutty or musky too, I thought. I'll probably try it again...

Anyone else have any favorite octopus dishes?

Octomatt :octopus:

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Interesting! I've yet to bite into an octopus (to my knowledge :) ). Tell me more about the texture... unsettling?

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Back in the days when I still ate cephs, I had Octopus in a Sicilian style seafood salad, which also included calamari and shrimp. As I recall the Octo had a rather rubbery texture, but tasted OK -- like the calamari. Now that I'm a were-squid, I no longer practice cannibalism, even in my biped form. Chacun à son ceph....

:squid:
Me

WhiteKiboko

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
in chunks octo can be a bit chewy...(moreso than clams) although as sushi, it wasnt as obvious....i guess its the way it was cut.... ive never detected any particular flavour when eating octo, so i guess its like several things, being as good as the sauce...

:tentacle: The Yog Shaggoth of Calamari :tentacle:

Wkiboko

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
The texture of the octo I had wasn't as chewey as some of the (bad) calamari I've had. I will say that I prefer (good) calamari over octopus. Still, quite good...it had been boiled, then cured in the same citrus as the shrimp and tuna. Yum...

cthulhu77

Titanites
Supporter
Personally, I much prefer tender chunks of marinated thigh from cows to the severed arms of innocent cephalopods. But I grew up on a dairy farm, and have a deep abiding hatred of cows. I smile everytime I pass a butcher...
Greg

WhiteKiboko

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
dont get me wrong, i put more than my share of beef away each week, but i still like seafood.... the trick with octos and squid and any other squishy sea creature for that matter is not to over cook.... maybe i should try phil's ammonite recipe one of these days :lol:

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

Melissa

Supporter
Ooh, overcooking is a real risk with squid and octos. If you are boil an octopus too long, which is easy to do, it will become tender again if you keep boiling it for thirty minutes. I prefer octopus grilled whole.

If it swims, I want to eat it, and octopus and squid are both very good eating. But like so many on TONMO, I too have pretty much stopped eating octopus except in one or two exceptional seafood restaurants, where you can have them perfectly prepared. Hunger is setting in ...

:octopus:

Melissa

Melissa

Supporter
I've only had the hundred year eggs in soup, and didn't even notice them. My friend ordered everything in Chinese, and then said "Since you have a cold, I told them to put a preserved egg in your soup. It's good for you." I'll probably have that again very soon for the year of the monkey. Why is there no year of the octopus?

Melissa

Members online

No members online now.