Eaten By Octopus?

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Okay, this is a weird one.

Grant Keddie, Curator of Archaeology at the Royal British Columbia Museum, authored "Hunting the Devil," a paper for the Museum about the octopus hunting practices of BC's indigenous tribes. It's clear, authoritative and a very good read about an unfamiliar subject. Click here to read "Hunting the Devil." Keddie winds up the piece with a real corker, though:

"Among the stories about octopuses, there is an interesting one that shows that they also were able to recognize a good protein source. The Victoria Daily Colonist of December 24, 1888 reports in "In the Grasp of a Devilfish" that the body of T. J. Hughes, who had "evidently drown," was found floating in Puget Sound "clasped in the embrace of a huge octopus."

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Clem

Not until now. Perhaps the octopus was merely investigating the corpse? They are curious creatures...

I saw a photograph in an issue of National Geographic that showed a GPO near Campbell River BC devouring the body of a dead dogfish. It's a fairly well-known picture; I've seen it reprinted a few times since. How stands the GPO on scavenging?

erich orser said:
Not until now. Perhaps the octopus was merely investigating the corpse? They are curious creatures...

I saw a photograph in an issue of National Geographic that showed a GPO near Campbell River BC devouring the body of a dead dogfish. It's a fairly well-known picture; I've seen it reprinted a few times since. How stands the GPO on scavenging?

Iv seen the picture too...the giant octopus is red isn't it? It's been known that giant pacific octopuses can possibly hunt down live sharks in camleflauge fashion.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back