• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Easiest bimac food to breed?

Ethan073

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I want to breed food for my bimac to save $$ and time. I have either a 10g or 30g I can use for this. I already have multiple tanks, so I want as close to 0 effort to go into this breeding tank as possible. So something very easy to breed, that the Octo can eat as his main diet (supplemented by other foods of course).

I've heard fiddler crabs are basically as easy as putting a handful in a tank and just waiting for the babies. Is this true, and are they suitable enough nutritionally to be a significant part of the bimac's diet?

What part of the country do you live in? Shore crabs are rather plentiful, so if you are near the coast line I would say get those. If not, let me know I sell them now for food and I'm using them to feed my GPO.

What size food will your bimac eat, and how fast will he go through it? I have quite a few shore crabs right now in varying sizes.

Shoot me message for pricing if your interested.

Here's some pics of the differing sizes:

IMG_20120128_205457.jpg

IMG_20120128_205346.jpg

Ethan,
I don't know of anyone that has been successful in raising any type of octo food other than supplemental pod as snacks. I would be curious where you saw info on breeding fiddlers as I have never had any with eggs to have hatchlings. Generally the female dies before the eggs hatch with one exception where I placed her in a tank with a brooding female (hoping the eggs would provide food for the hatchling octopuses). I never saw hatchlings even then but the female crab did survive.

Never thought to try and breed the shore crabs, but if you wanna give it a go I have a ton of females with eggs right now. I was just planning on letting them release em into my system as food for other stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back