• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

dwarth water temp

im getting a dwarth instead of a micic my tank is 25c/75f is that ok also could i use plastic to cover under the lid so it cant get out im thinking of using a jar to feed him so he has to unscrew the jar to get his food been told they sometime die of boredem what toys would you recomend

75 degrees is fine.

most of us make our lids out of plexi glass and cut it to fit the top of the tank exactly so that there is no place they can sneak out, I used to have mine with a latch but now i just have enough weight on the lid that the octopus cant push it open (about 10 lbs).

I'm not sure of any death related to boredom. Toys are good and you just have to just try stuff until you find something that the octopus shows interest in, but from my experience toys are fun for only a short time then the octopus seems to lose interest. never get any of my octopuses to figure out how to open the Jar.

Briareus are one of larger species and require a large tank I kept mine in a 125gallon (470 liter) tank. Some people keep them in 65 gallon (246 liter) tanks but that would have been too small for mine.

Being in the UK I'm not sure what octopuses will be available to you. Regardless of where you live it is always a crap shoot as to what you get unless you catch it yourself. Vendors have very little knowledge of these animals and often mislabel them. I have one right now that we don't even know what it is just a bunch of speculation.

It will be interesting to see which dwarf you end up getting. In the US 98% of what we see on TONMO are the mercatoris from the Caribbean but given your location, there are numerous others that fit the dwarf/pygmy category (including the blue ring so please be careful to ID it before you put your hand anywhere near the octopus). Without knowing where it comes from, temperature is not something we can comfortably advise (there are also cold water dwarfs). Can you find out where the animal lived in the wild? You might ask your supplier to ask when he accepts the shipment if he doesn't already know. Be sure to make it clear that you want the information for proper housing or you many not get a clear answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back