• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dwarf Octopus Tank

Merry Christmas 2017 Everyone!

A little update, the cycle is underway and I haven't tested the levels yet because I know ammonia will be very high, but in the next week or so I'll test for nitrites and ammonia too see where it's at.
Next time I'm at the LFS I'll see if I can't get some established SW filter media to make this cycle go very quickly.

Tested for Nitrites and ammonia this morning, ammonia was pretty low but nitrites were off the charts. I took the dead shrimp out because it smelled so horrible. I'm adding fish food to the tank now to provide the ammonia.

Here are some pictures of the tank, still more rock to come. I need to put the shells closer to the bottom as they we’re placed there by my brother. No sign of any kind of algae yet, but it will come no doubt. Still need to figure out a cover, I was thinking a 2 inch Eurobrace around the edges. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that would be great. The hard part is figuring out how to get it around the filter and wires so there’s no holes there either.

Attachments

• 6C6F11DF-DE4A-41CE-8F08-9E2632236851.jpeg
    6C6F11DF-DE4A-41CE-8F08-9E2632236851.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • 7514C87F-BD3F-42A4-A8FE-653661C57943.jpeg
    7514C87F-BD3F-42A4-A8FE-653661C57943.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • 0A268176-696C-4EF9-9C1B-10BF7BC3BDD9.jpeg
    0A268176-696C-4EF9-9C1B-10BF7BC3BDD9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
I’ve got a question about keeping the octopus in the tank, as I still need to figure something out for that. I am between a 2” Euro brave around the top of the aquarium as I’ve read that can help keep them in, but I also recently read an article about lining the rim of the tank with artificial grass (turf). Has anyone heard of this before? And if so, do you think it would work to keep it in? It is a lot cheaper to go the turf route than buy the plexiglass for the euro brace.

I haven’t updated this in a little bit, but everything is still going well. I have some green algae forming but nothing too bad, bringing the nitrates down by doing water changes every day. Right now they’re sitting at about 30 ppm. I added a 3 stripe damsel to keep the cycle going until I get an octo.
I also constructed a lid for the tank, it’s made of egg crate (lighting diffuser) and screen netting for porches. I cut the lighting diffuser to the shape of the top of the tank and made cutouts for anytjing around the edge, then I went back and glued a piece of the screening onto the eggcrate. There’s no spots where an octopus could get out of.

Having lost one from not locking down a lid because I didn't think it could open it (many others had not) I warn to be overly cautious. Weights should be OK as long as there is no flex in the grid. Keep in mind that they can go through any opening that is the size of their eye (the actual limitation is their beak but beak and eye size are similar).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back