• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dwarf Octopus at my LFS, will it survive in my tank with these inhabitants?

John007h

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hey guys, my LFS just got one of these guys in out the blue.
http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/i...ducts_id=897&zenid=ptm6h0fn0cghhkh0k8thiclll6

Its a dwarf octopus, and I've never seen or heard of this species before, can these guys last in a 65 gal with a lion fish and porcupine puffer. I'll likely be upgrading to a tank twice the size in the future to accommodate the puffer's and lion's size, but will a dwarf survive/not kill the other fish?

I was originally planning an octo only tank months ago for a "regular" brown octo which I was told had to be kept alone, but what's the deal with this dwarf, is there any resource about them I can read?

Thanks!

Hi there John, the answer is easy, it's no... 65 gallons is quite sufficient, roomwise, but both the lion fish as well as the puffer will have your octopus for breakfast :sad:

65 is really too big for Marcatoris, you'll never see it, Mine was in a 38g and it dissappeared into the liverock, I only knew it was alive cause it was eating the crabs i was putting in there for it. This is a very small nocturnal octopus. They will only come out in complete darkness, with the exception of red dim red lights.

Also both the puffer and the lion fish are too aggressive for octopuses.

I advise against it, I dont think you will enjoy it because you wont see it in a tank that size, plus its likely to be eaten.

Another emphatic, NO from me as well.

To learn a bit more about O.mercatoris look at the top of the Journals and Photos forum for List of Our Octopuses 20xx. There have not been many mercs this year but you will see more journals listed in prior years.

Also, it is best to point out that a common brown octopus is saying nothing more than an octopus. Common brown is synonymous with, we don't know the species and has absolutely NO suggestion of which animal it might be.

Decided to pass on the octo then.

After some more reading it may have been likely that the octo arrived on one of their live rock shipments and could be well into adult hood, 70 bucks is a little steep for an organism that may only live a few weeks after arrival.

I'll keep my eye out at my LFS for anything else that comes up, thanks for your help!

I see that no one has mentioned yet that the octopus in the picture is in fact an E. Dofleini and not O. Mercatoris as they claim. I also believe they got that picture from an aquarium exhibit.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back