dwarf octo questions

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by oscer, Aug 20, 2007.

1. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

hi im gettin a dwarf octo tomaro and i read a fax cheat on it and it says if they ink it will kill everythind in my tank yes or no? i also read that before they die u have to kill them out of the tank? yes or no if yes what is the easyest way to kill it. and how do i now when its old??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:cyclops::sleeping:

2. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

ummm, you really shouldn't put an octo in a tank with other inhabitants. What are the other inhabitants? Also, I don't know who told you that you have to kill it, but that's incorrect and inhumane. The only way to know if it's old is to know when it was born, and their lifespan is only aound 6 months to a year, so you won't need to "kill it out". Also, again, if you have other inhabitants, then you're gonna have a dead octo or dead other things really quick, octos are solitary animals.

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Please read our articles on ceph care......lots of tips and very helpful information for a successful experience....

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Oh my...

Where did you receive this information?

Inking is bad, yes. My dwarf O. Mercatoris inked once or twice and it was hardly a significant amount, but you can syphon it out with airline tubing or any other clean hose. If you have a protein skimmer you shouldn't have to worry about it unless it's a lot.

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Please read the articles (click on Articles above) before you get your octopus. I assume you have a tank cycled and ready, from what you say.

You never have to kill your octopus and, as mentioned, inking can be handled. You'll need a protein skimmer anyway, and that will take care of the ink.

Nancy

6. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

well i got the octo on ebay from an invert only fish store and i got a critter pack with the octo and he had them together???? i read the fax sheet here someone rote it.

7. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

i dont have a protein skimmer and the guy seid i dont need more tan i have

8. Animal Mother

Can you please post a link to that "fax sheet" so it can be corrected, or removed? Surely you misunderstood it if it was on this site. I can't see MISinformation like that being available on here.

9. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

its already deleted

10. Animal Mother

Good. That was a ridiculous suggestion.

Good luck with your new octopus.

11. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

thank u for all your help you guys (girls) are thay poisonis if not can u hand feed them??? srry for all the questions.

12. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

any other info at all is apreacheated are they poisonis if not should i hand feed it???

13. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

All octos i think are a little poisonous (venomous), but most can't hurt you unless you are allergic, so if they do bite you, it's kinda like a beesting...and if you are allergic, then yeah, it's like a bee sting to someone who's allergic. But yes, you can hand feed if they like you enough and they are bold enough. Hope this helps.

14. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

ya it helps

15. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

tyvm oh and before i forget how long canthey be out of water couse somone seid his got out of the tank went acros the class room opend a jar found out it wasnt food and got back in the tank and lived.

16. Animal Mother

That sounds like a tall tale to me, quite frankly I would call it bologna.

Blue Rings are deadly.

I believe you likely have an Octopus Mercatoris and if so, it is not probable that you will ever get to hand feed it. They are very shy, and nocturnal. You will probably only see it out at night, very late after the lights have gone out, and you should use a dim red light to view it with. It will probably live in a snail shell if there are any for it to hide in. One neat thing is that they really like to use hermit shells as doors for their dens. Feeding filter foods like phytoplankton has shown to be beneficial with this species. You will probaby notice it sitting on top of its shell with its arms wrapped up over its mantle, between its eyes.

You should search for "Octopus Mercatoris" in the thread search engine and read as much as you can. You will get tons of information.

17. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

18. oscer

oscer Banned Banned

Hi again i cand find my octo hes not under anything i dont think where is he.

19. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

It's not unusual for an octopus to hide for a long time... tearing apart the tank looking for it often will make it more frightened. It's of course possible that it's escaped or dead, but usually the best course of action is to make sure that it has some food available, and let it do what it's doing. This could also mean that it's made a den to lay eggs. But we've had cases where someone hasn't seen their octo for over a month, and then one day it's back... If it's gone, tearing apart the tank won't save it, but if it's just hiding, it will stress it out, so, as frustrating as it is, being patient, making sure the water quality and food supply are ok, and waiting is usually the best thing to do when you're octo is missing.

20. Animal Mother

Just search around the outside of the tank. Behind it. On the floor... anywhere outside the tank, just to make sure it didn't climb out and crawl off somewhere. If you don't find it, it's in the tank. Don't worry about it. Those dwarfs are very sneaky.

What kind of objects are in the tank for it to hide in? I made sure to place the shells big enough for mine facing the front, so I could see inside them. Then if I couldn't find my octopus out wandering around, I could see him peeping out of a shell. You will be amazed how they can hide in the most unbelievable places.