dwarf octo questions

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by abate, Aug 29, 2009.

1. abate

abate Cuttlefish Registered

i need help. as a 1st time octo owner i have desided a dwarf octo would be best. but several questions i have are not mentioned on most sites i check. so here goes.
    1) will more than octopus live together in the same tank with out eating each other
    2) if i get 2 females and 1 male will the male impregnate bolth females
    3) how old will a baby octo have to be before it can be taken out of the tank [for research? (wieghing and measuring)]

i apreceate any help you can give me, and please include a list of websites and forums you think could help me
    thanks
    ABATE

:octopus: this is what i need. a pygmy :octopus:

2. Dustinh

Dustinh Blue Ring Registered

1 it dependss
    2 no
    3 no idea.

3. abate

will a male and felame o.mecatoris/ o. joubini kill each other if in the same tank

4. Tommycs

Tommycs Wonderpus Supporter

Mercatoris's are the only one that I know of that have been housed together in a home aquarium. Dwhatley has some journals on the ones she has had and the ones she has raised. What exactly do you mean by research?

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

abate, please check your initial post for some reading on housing and raising the mercs.

Roy has mentioned observations of blue ring males being able to mate with multiple females but has not mentioned if mercatoris males are also able to mate multiple times. I will venture to guess that they do, however, as I believe one of my males mated a second time with his initial mate (there were two males in the tank and it is possible it was the second male but the behavior suggested it was the original). The second mating was post hatch of her first brood so there were no more eggs to fertilize.

I can't help with #3 but do know that the chierchiae did not fair well as small hatchlings when they were momentarily removed from the water for weighing.

6. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Its always a risk. You'll have to determine when and how often you are willing to take it.

7. abate

4 is there a product you can add to the tank to make the octos grow/breed

8. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Clean water and good food - no shortcuts to this question...