• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

dwarf octo questions

abate

Cuttlefish
Registered
i need help. as a 1st time octo owner i have desided a dwarf octo would be best. but several questions i have are not mentioned on most sites i check. so here goes.
1) will more than octopus live together in the same tank with out eating each other
2) if i get 2 females and 1 male will the male impregnate bolth females
3) how old will a baby octo have to be before it can be taken out of the tank [for research? (wieghing and measuring)]

i apreceate any help you can give me, and please include a list of websites and forums you think could help me
thanks
ABATE

:octopus: this is what i need. a pygmy :octopus:

Mercatoris's are the only one that I know of that have been housed together in a home aquarium. Dwhatley has some journals on the ones she has had and the ones she has raised. What exactly do you mean by research?

abate, please check your initial post for some reading on housing and raising the mercs.

Roy has mentioned observations of blue ring males being able to mate with multiple females but has not mentioned if mercatoris males are also able to mate multiple times. I will venture to guess that they do, however, as I believe one of my males mated a second time with his initial mate (there were two males in the tank and it is possible it was the second male but the behavior suggested it was the original). The second mating was post hatch of her first brood so there were no more eggs to fertilize.

I can't help with #3 but do know that the chierchiae did not fair well as small hatchlings when they were momentarily removed from the water for weighing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back