dwarf foods and other Q's

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by kingsnar, Oct 16, 2006.

1. kingsnar

kingsnar O. bimaculoides Registered

do you guys have any pics of o.mercatoris? I don't know how large they grow, can you use something such as a freshwater apple-snail as a comparison of size?

What types of foods should adults eat? Is it possible to convert adults or even juveniles to fry fozen? How often should they eat?

What temperature range should I keep the dwarf in?

PS- I know dwarves will live only a few weeks after buying them, I plan on rearing the eggs which I have been told by someone on RC (who has and is successfully rearing the eggs) is very easy.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I haven't gotten a positive ID on my little one yet, but I believe he could be O. Mercatoris. He is from a Carribean supplier, and a dwarf for sure. I haven't tried feeding it frozen, but the guys at the store where I bought it said it wouldn't eat any. Einy likes fiddler crabs and hermits a lot though! I would say he is pretty much the same size as the fiddler crabs. His head's about the size of a peanut. I have no idea how old he is though.

I've read the same thing, that the fry are large enough to have a decent chance of maturing. No planktonic stage. So if "he" turns out to be a "she" I plan on having a lot of fun with that.

I read a great thread about an attempt to raise the Mercatoris fry. I believe the members name that was doing it is Akyu. You might do a search in the threads for "Mercatoris" and see what you come up with.

3. kingsnar

kingsnar O. bimaculoides Registered

Thank you! Thanks for the size comparison as well, I had no idea whether it was the size of a penny or a softball LOL.

4. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Never heard of rearing eggs as being "very easy", but it can be done with a lot of patience and equipment. The biggest problem is raising them for the first growth period. Make sure you have a refugium or seperate tank well stocked with little food items!