• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

dwarf cuttlefish eggs the next generation

Have you tried putting the feeding stick in a feeding corner daily to see if they would come to it? These cuttles seem to vary greatly with feeding. One member will have them begging and other barely see them but there is no obvious difference in the envioronments.

They won't move even one inch for the feeding stick. They only eat off it once it touches them. Once they touch it they will go nuts pulling it off, but they will not strike at it even if its half an inch away from them. They have to be "convinced" it's food.

In other news a breeder net fell and only 2 of the cuttles decided it was worth leaving. The net was down for like 12hrs but 2 stayed in.

I have 15 total cuttlefish after the inking incident. 5 are still in 2 large breeder nets where I can easily hand feed them and monitor them. The 10 released are a bit more comfortable. A few of them now hang out on the sandbed instead of hiding in the caves. With 10 in the tank it is easy to spot one or 2 but most still remain hidden. I'm hoping in the coming weeks they will get more comfortable.

They won't move even one inch for the feeding stick. They only eat off it once it touches them. Once they touch it they will go nuts pulling it off, but they will not strike at it even if its half an inch away from them. They have to be "convinced" it's food.

I think that mine are at most a few weeks older than yours and now go after just about anything that breaks the surface like forceps, fingers, and recently nearly pulled a thermometer right out of my hand. I have also watched one follow and strike at a bubble on the surface.

snowmaker;155284 said:
I think that mine are at most a few weeks older than yours and now go after just about anything that breaks the surface like forceps, fingers, and recently nearly pulled a thermometer right out of my hand. I have also watched one follow and strike at a bubble on the surface.

I wonder what the difference is?

Mine still don't come out unless there is shrimp then quickly retreat to various corners of the tank. One did die leaving about 14 left in the tank. They are about 2.5" now as I did measure the dead one although not super accurately.

I did get a nice eye marco

IMGP7648.JPG

I can't really hand feed them unless I see them so I'm just feeding them live shrimp.

Some new vidoes :

The last 2 are available in HD. My cuttlefish finally seem a little more friendly with me, must be because they are happy to be mating.

I think the mating is in full force. I have discovered a couple more dead. I think they died in fights as water quality is not an issue. The tank is big with lots of live rock and caves yet they find each other to kill.

I'm guessing there are about 6 left but I really have no idea. They are pretty active these days though. Not like before when I had to really look to find even one.

Sadly I must report I'm left with just 3. I found a male dead, One is huge so I'm guessing he's a male and there are 2 smaller ones hopefully they are female.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back