• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dwarf cuttle venom and bites

MAKOOKAM

Wonderpus
Registered
I'm to the point where my cuttles will come up to my hand when I'm not feeding them and they will brush up against or even settle in my hand. I've also had them also come up to my fingers with a threat display and explore touch with their tentacles. Has anyone here ever been envenomated by an adult or have any info on it? Do humans have any noticeable reaction?
Just want to know what I could be getting myself into. :bonk:

Not sure... A friend sent me this when I had same question:
Don't know the answer but this article might help.
You can get a copy from sciencedirect or the local university.

Purification and molecular cloning of SE-cephalotoxin, a novel
proteinaceous toxin from the posterior salivary gland
of cuttlefish Sepia esculenta
Atsushi Ueda a, Hiroshi Nagai b, Masami Ishida b, Yuji Nagashima a, Kazuo Shiomi a,*
a Department of Food Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Konan-4, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8477, Japan
b Department of Ocean Sciences, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Konan-4, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8477, Japan

Cephalopods contain toxins in their salivary glands, presumably to paralyze prey animals
such as crabs and bivalves. Proteinaceous toxins (called cephalotoxins) with crab lethality
have previously been purified from three species of octopodiform cephalopods (octopuses)
but their detailed properties and primary structures have remained unknown. In this
study, salivary glands of six species of decapodiform cephalopods were newly found to be
toxic; three species of cuttlefish were lethal only to crabs and three species of squid to both
mice and crabs. A proteinaceous toxin (named SE-cephalotoxin) in the salivary gland of
cuttlefish Sepia esculenta was soluble only in high-salt solvents.

I know it says about 3 sp. of squid - but a ceph toxin that is lethal to mice is scary. If it were only crabs, I wouldn't be AS concerned...
I'm thinking that our blood may qualify as a "High Salt Solvent".

Thanks,
Reading of others' experiences helps.
I know it's maybe anecdotal evidence, but when I see a crab start to spasm / convulse seconds after being captured, I would guess there is a toxin in saliva (if they even have saliva), since the crab has not been exposed to flesh.

Unrelated sort of, but I also hear of different reactions, by different people, to lionfish stings - from mild to emergency room.

Its also hard to see exactly where the crab is being bitten - the beak itself tearing through the right place might turn off a crab very quickly.

Also, meaning the amount of venom injected from just about any animal is variable, so effects can be different.

My three S. bandensis (especially the female) would sit on my hand. My daughters would often put their hands in the tank and "pet" their favorite. I never felt like they would bite me (although it is always possible).

cuttlegirl;156538 said:
My three S. bandensis (especially the female) would sit on my hand. My daughters would often put their hands in the tank and "pet" their favorite. I never felt like they would bite me (although it is always possible).

How the heck did you train them so well?

Anyway I have been bitten by a 2" one. It hurt. Punctured the skin but did not bleed. It felt like i was pricked by a pin and looked similar.

Thinking about it CG, I don't remember anyone in current (the last 2 years or so) interacting physically with theirs. I had not thought about it but now that it is being discussed I find it odd.

D, I have always interacted with my cuttlefish, S. officinalis and the S. bandensis. I used to swim with the S. officinalis (the tank was really big...), so it doesn't seem that odd to me - maybe I am just a cuttlefish whisperer :biggrin2:.

hahaha have you tried? Oooooo I would love to swim with a ceph in a tank. I''l keep that in mind if I ever become a millionaire! I'll have like a room with scuba gear! :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back