Dwarf cuttle venom and bites

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by MAKOOKAM, May 29, 2010.

1. MAKOOKAM

MAKOOKAM Wonderpus Registered

I'm to the point where my cuttles will come up to my hand when I'm not feeding them and they will brush up against or even settle in my hand. I've also had them also come up to my fingers with a threat display and explore touch with their tentacles. Has anyone here ever been envenomated by an adult or have any info on it? Do humans have any noticeable reaction?
    Just want to know what I could be getting myself into. :bonk:

2. snowmaker

snowmaker Vampyroteuthis Registered

Not sure... A friend sent me this when I had same question:
    I know it says about 3 sp. of squid - but a ceph toxin that is lethal to mice is scary. If it were only crabs, I wouldn't be AS concerned...
    I'm thinking that our blood may qualify as a "High Salt Solvent".

3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

4. snowmaker

Thanks,
    Reading of others' experiences helps.
    I know it's maybe anecdotal evidence, but when I see a crab start to spasm / convulse seconds after being captured, I would guess there is a toxin in saliva (if they even have saliva), since the crab has not been exposed to flesh.

Unrelated sort of, but I also hear of different reactions, by different people, to lionfish stings - from mild to emergency room.

5. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Its also hard to see exactly where the crab is being bitten - the beak itself tearing through the right place might turn off a crab very quickly.

Also, meaning the amount of venom injected from just about any animal is variable, so effects can be different.

6. MAKOOKAM

Thanks guys. I'm going to continue on with my current interactions and let things go where they may. (famous last words) :)

7. rryyddeerr

rryyddeerr Vampyroteuthis Registered

I thought that was "hey guys! Watch this!"

8. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

My three S. bandensis (especially the female) would sit on my hand. My daughters would often put their hands in the tank and "pet" their favorite. I never felt like they would bite me (although it is always possible).

9. MAKOOKAM

"nom nom nom!"

10. corpusse

corpusse Vampyroteuthis Registered

How the heck did you train them so well?

Anyway I have been bitten by a 2" one. It hurt. Punctured the skin but did not bleed. It felt like i was pricked by a pin and looked similar.

11. cuttlegirl

I forgot that Thales was bitten by one of his when he was moving them - he survived. I didn't really train them, they just interacted with me. http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/5868/ See post #220, #228 and so on for pictures of the cuttles sitting on my hand.

12. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Thinking about it CG, I don't remember anyone in current (the last 2 years or so) interacting physically with theirs. I had not thought about it but now that it is being discussed I find it odd.

13. cuttlegirl

D, I have always interacted with my cuttlefish, S. officinalis and the S. bandensis. I used to swim with the S. officinalis (the tank was really big...), so it doesn't seem that odd to me - maybe I am just a cuttlefish whisperer :grin:.

14. corpusse

corpusse Vampyroteuthis Registered

mine will barely look at me, nevermind interact.

15. kpage

kpage Wonderpus Supporter

hahaha have you tried? Oooooo I would love to swim with a ceph in a tank. I''l keep that in mind if I ever become a millionaire! I'll have like a room with scuba gear! :lol:

16. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

You might checkout the possibility of volunteering at your local aquarium (if you have one and if they have in-tank cleaning). I know our aquarium has a crew of volunteer tank cleaners and talked to one of the mothers of one of the guys I saw cleaning on my last visit. You would have to get certified and the rules, for safety reasons are strict, but it would not hurt to check into the possibility. You might not get to do a ceph tank but a little investigation might prove to be interesting.

17. snowmaker

Over the rainy weekend, a lot of tank(s) maintenance happened. The cuttlefish were the most interactive I have ever seen them. During scraping and magnet cleaning glass, they would get to within 1" of my hand or mag float. They generally followed my hands and movements as I did tank work, moved rock and corals, vacuumed substrate... They weren't spooked by any of it, just very active around me working.