Durzo - A. aculeatus

He came out tonight at 9:30 which is the earliest he has ever come out and the daylights were still on! :heee:

Here is a video of him getting a fiddler... Not much hunting involved, but I'll take it. :roll:
And here is a video of him going to hide in a hole to hide after his meal:

And... Pictures!:
octo630001.jpg

octo630002.jpg

octo630004.jpg

octo630005.jpg

octo630012.jpg

Humm, my post seems to be missing (temps somewhere in the 90's are killing my internet so I have none during the day). Nice capture of how they disable the legs before bringing it to the mouth.

I also mentioned that the last shot would have been a good one for the find the ceph thread. Not so much that you have to hunt long but the camo is excellent!

I have my fingers cross that this is a young animal and the nocturnal behavior is more because of the young age rather than it being an adult of one of the smaller noctural unidentified member of the Abdopus family.

I considered it for that, but I didn't think it would be hard enough.

He came out around 9 tonight... He is starting to come out earlier and earlier, I'm hoping it's because he's warming up to me and not becoming senescent. :goofysca:
I have some pictures and videos I need to upload. :wink:

No, the corkscrew look looks like a corkscrew (but you may never have seen one - you said you had never had a plum :roll:, they are used to open wine bottles). This is not the best example but is the only one that comes to mind immediately. Go to www.octopusid.com At the bottom of the page click on LifeSpan and then on the camera with the title "Spotting Senescence". Notice the arms in the top left photo.

From what I see in the photos, this one looks very healthy. The skin colors and papillae are strong and well defined and he appears to be well coordinated.

I didn't think it was CS, it just looked odd the way he wound all his arms together like that.

The last four pictures of my first post on this page were taken within 5 seconds of each other, just to show he's changing colors/textures like crazy for the most part.:lol:

That is an odd pose and it looks like he is protecting his arms. Out of curiosity, what is your PH and SG? Not likely an issue since he is active but oddities are worth a double check.

Both PH and SG are a bit low. I know pool water (especially hot tubs) is adjusted for human PH and that the skin is itchy if exposed for a period of time to unbalanced PH. I have often wondered inital long interaction I have had with my octos is because their skin is "itchy" and rubbing on my hand "feels good". I have never thought to test both parms when they are especially interactive but wonder if either low salt content or low PH has this affect on them. For years we buffered our water because the PH would not hold after a water change but I think the buffer accumulates over time and for over a year now, we have not needed to add buffering. Alternately, the better PH stability may also be a change in our Instant Ocean salt as it is much finer now and I have to use more to raise the salt to 1.026.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back