Dumpling / Bobtail Squid with Blue Ring Octopus

gianniz

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello I'm new to cephs so any advice will be great.
First of all I've always wanted cephs but always thought it's just a dream... but 2 days ago while I was netting up some feeder fish, I noticed a little squid (turns out to be a dumpling aka bobtail) so I net him and into the bucket it went with a my big smile on my face.
Within minutes I noticed a little octopus and I net him thinking best luck eva!!! but as it broke surface, amazing blue ring flashed and I my body instantly sweat like donkey!
Anyway I've now place them into my 2foot tank which used to be a home to 2 killer crabs (crabs now gone back to LFS bye bye).
Today is day 2 of it being in my tank and so far so good.
Dumpling attacked and ate a boxer shrimp as it was released from the bucket! while Blue ring wasn't interested.
Today I fed blue ring school prawns from the market and it ate it, though to my suprise it didn't eat the shells.
Dumpling so far has not touch the school prawns but hopefully that will change soon.
Thats all folks... for now and also if you have any advice please let me know.

PS Please save any negative 2cent about keeping blue ring and dumpling together in the same tank as most/highly likely, you've never kept the pairs together yourself :smile:

Dumpling feeding on boxershrimp.

Dumpling just took a boxer shrimp and it actually swallowing as it's swimming!

As as above but side view

Dumpling Burial, there' more to it but I just caught the last cool bit (was side tracked by Blue Ring)

Blue Ring Octopus seeing the camera for the first time.

Blue Ring resting and crawling with Mysid shrimps

Blue Ring isn't hungry or just scared

Asking for advice but limiting discussion is not the best hope for information exchange. Please do read some of the cautions on the exotics thread about keeping a blue ring. I'll refrain from mentioning more than once that the pairing is likely not to go well but will mention an excellent article of experience by CaptFish on why doubters soon understand about species only tanks.

Of all the octopuses I have kept (primarily Caribbean), none consume shells of the larger shrimp (the small shrimp are only fed when the animal is small and the shell seems to be consumed). In fact one (but only one) of our wards would devein his shrimp before eating it. The only ceph I know of that both eats and appears to need shrimp shell in its diet is the nautilus so removing the shellif not feeding live is recommended for water quality.

I wake up and find this! Who's is it? Blue ring or the Dumpling? Eggs are pretty big and Blue ring doesn't sit on it so I'm assuming its the dumplilngs :smile: Now what should I do???

IMG_20131011_123556_zpse8b6fe11.jpg

IMG_20131011_123525_zps125818f4.jpg

Very cool that you got the squid and octopus surprise! However, if I'm not mistaken, your octopus is NOT a Blue Ringed Octopus. It's much too big and doesn't have the actual rings...unfortunately I'm not sure what species of octopus it actually is.

not a blue ring? come around and grab it with your hand and see if it's not :smile:
Blue rings do not show their rings unless it's angry. I'll post a pic soon.

My understanding of blue rings is that they carry the eggs with them (Roy is this the case??), so perhaps these are the bobtails eggs. sad news is that which ever, they are, the adult will die (normal). To care for the eggs, I'd keep an eye on them to start with, and if the adult doesn't care for them, I'd gently squirt water over them with a turkey baster or similar a few times a day, this helps reduce algae build up and oxygenates them. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back