Dum question but worth a shot

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by aristocat, Nov 1, 2008.

1. aristocat

aristocat Cuttlefish Registered

I know tis a dum question but I guess its worth a shot but I was wondering if I could use triops as a food source for a newborn its the only easy to find food source in my area. For the people who don't know what they are they are freshwater shrimp that are easy to raise and are small enough as newborns for a baby cuttle to make quick work of.:bonk:

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

In general, freshwater animals seem to cause nutritional problems for cephs much of the time, so I'd be afraid that the hatchlings wouldn't get all the nutrition they need from them. Very young bandensis seem to be pretty sensitive to diet.

3. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Hmmm triops might work but they are quite expensive, well, in the UK they are, and the initial kits rarely work. Do you have a source for them?

Also - are they really freshwater? The ones I can find wild in Scotland are brackish to marine

cheers

4. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

as far as I know, and I may be wrong, they are kind of like mollies in that they can be kept in all types of water, whichever type their egg lands in I guess...

5. aristocat

Where I am located they're extremely cheep. And I know how to breed them its quite simple actually, all you really need to do is add sand as substrate. Is there a easy way to breed any of the shrimps or crabs that are commonly used or do I constantly have to buy new ones. And I've been checking Tonmo and have found that there were not that many threads being added lately? Is it just a bad season for cephlopods or something. And I wanted to say I loved the article in Tropical Fish Magizine about octopus I thought it was very interesting.:smile:

6. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

People culture Mysids (usually for seahorses), but I doubt it would be worth your effort. Artemia is really easy to hatch and raise but they aren't very nutritious. For a small group of cuttles, you should expect to order about 750 mysids (5 cuttles @ 4/day over 30 day period). After about a month you can get them on frozen. The 750 accounts for deads and other such misfortunes as you should only need 560 feeding 4 per day per cuttle. Just make sure you feed the mysids often. Make sure you have extra money saved up for it you are preparing to raise cuttles. I would plan on buying 1000-1250 for a group of 5 to be sure you are prepared.

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

If it was easy more people would keep them. It's not, so there aren't that many people doing it.

8. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Just be aware that Triops can grow to interesting proportions.... :shock:

#8    Top
  9. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:goofysca: That's bigger than we ever grew ours...

10. aristocat

Its shoking how large they can grow with proper care but I find them to never grow that big. I never really belived they were related to the horshoe crab until now.:shock: