D's macropus

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
1-28-09 It is with great delight that I get to start another member's journal! D called me today saying she wanted the other macropus at my LFS, Pet Connection. I still had my shipping containers from Aku, so I grabbed them and my camera, and headed to the store!

As usual my guys were happy to let me photo everything, and I learned last time to take measurements in the critter keeper! They rinsed "her" well with clean tank water, made sure the water in the bag was clean and had lots of air (no O2, though). She was bagged well- each bag individually rubber banded, then put into a styrofoam container with wads of newspaper to fill the empty space so she won't roll around. We wrapped a 24 hr heat pad in newspaper and taped it to the lid of the container. Then the styrofoam lid was taped on, followed by the shipping container being well taped. Job completed by 4:30 pm.

From the pet store to FedEx, where overnight shipping costs more than the octo! They were able to tell me she will be on the last truck out tonight- 7 pm, and gave me a tracking number. They said by 10:30 tomorrow!

Attachments

• conv_303518.jpg
    conv_303518.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 96
  • conv_303515.jpg
    conv_303515.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 72
  • conv_303517.jpg
    conv_303517.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_303516.jpg
    conv_303516.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 101
D's macropus- no, really...

Sorry about that, the lady working computer has had a looooong day!

Attachments

• conv_293812.jpg
    conv_293812.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 80
  • conv_293811.jpg
    conv_293811.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 66
  • conv_293810.jpg
    conv_293810.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 93
  • conv_293809.jpg
    conv_293809.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 98
More of D's beauty...

So with all of the rinsing off and sloshing into bags, this little beauty never inked! I got there just as she was choosing to be active on her own, maybe that's why she didn't seem too disturbed by the whole ordeal.

I can't wait to hear that she's arrived safely! Tomorrow is my day to volunteer at the school library, so D you'll have to call my cell when you get her!

Attachments

• conv_293813.jpg
    conv_293813.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_293814.jpg
    conv_293814.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 93
  • conv_293815.jpg
    conv_293815.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 88
So as much as I'd like to have Monty erase my mistake with the WRONG PHOTOS :oops: D suggested that we leave Artemis' photos here for comparison between the animals. So from here on out, I meant to do that...:wink:

Most of the octopuses in this complex are sizable - with arms to 80 cm (more than 30 inches). What are yours plans for them when they grow large? Do you have a large tank or will you be setting up one? (I guess three or four Tonmo people have octopuses from this complex now.)

They are beautiful octopuses.

Nancy

She is on the move. I have been watching for a tracking statement since Neal came home and said the planes are delayed over much of the country because of landing conditions (we won't get the cold for another couple of days). Hopefully my little girl will arrive on time in the AM.

I noticed a distinct white spot at the back of the mantle and am hoping that is not a sign of ripening eggs. Mucktopus, are you near a computer or have you reverted to a fish now that you are back in the water?

She had reached Indiana
She is in Gainesville but not here yet (9:00 AM) - now posted as on the truck at 8:40 :goofysca:
Arrived at 10:20 - I don't think the FedEx guy believed me when I said it was a live octopus (my regular FedEx person, Carol would have wanted to look before being told what was in the box :biggrin2: but she doesn't do the early deliveries).

The box was very cold inside, inspite of the heat pack being warm and on first look I thought she didn't make it but as I was looking at the white, unmoving body there was a full color change in the mantle and then movement and breathing when the bag was put in tank water. I am still nervous but she is moving around and changing color as she warms up so I have my fingers crossed the rest of the acclimation will go well.

She is very stressed and I left her in the critter keeper for now. In her current state the white spot at the back of the mantle shows as a very distinct band made of a set of brown stripes with curved lines joining the stipes, almost making white circles between the bands. I am hoping this is not a parasite infestation, the pattern is very distinct but I don't know if I can get a clear photo

I believe this octo is different than Artimus (Sedna's) but still in the macropus complex. From Sedna's pictures, Artimus' two front arms are not only very long but also thicker than the remaining 6. I have not seen her stretch out yet but the arm thickness seems to be similar across all arms and taper much like a dwarf rather than remain rope like for most of the length.

Nancy,
Plan A - There are several that are nicely sized for an aquarium - I am hoping this is one of them.
Plan B - If the small webbing and delicate back arms prove to be a misleading size consideration, my son has a cycled but uninhabited tank (65 long).
Plan C - If it out grows the 65 then it will be necessary to convert the 140.

Nancy,

I am hoping that it will be apparent that he is growing too big for my tank while I still have time to make plans. I will have to give him up to someone with a larger tank- my 1st choice would be the Toledo Zoo as it is a 20 min ride from my house. After that, the next responsible, trustworthy Tonmo member with a big enough tank...

Unfortunately, this is a short journal. She did not survive the day. From the beginning she would no hold color and it got no better through the day. The shipping water was not unusually low in PH (it was higher than most shipments that come in close to 6, hers was close to 8), there was no trace of nitrite but she was very cold and I don't think she was a juvenile. I will post the best picture I find in my camera of the strange markings on her mantle to see if anyone can identify them.

Very, Very sad night - I have never lost one the first day.

Oh, D, I am so sorry. :goodbye:

I will not try to ship in such cold again. When I received Aku (Oct. or Nov.) the shipping water was 65F or so, that was from CA to MI. No matter what else comes in to my LFS, if you're not in driving distance in the winter it is not worth the risk. Even if it were known that something else caused her death, it's just not worth it!

Sorry, D, RIP. It sounds like it was the shipping trauma, but of course it's sad no matter what :sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back