dream tank questions

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by zsmackless1, Apr 26, 2006.

1. zsmackless1

zsmackless1 Larval Mass Registered

Hello all,
    I live in la. and I have set up and maintained a few saltwater tanks. What I whant to find out is what would be the best way to go. I have been caring for jellyfish (extreamly difficult) so the amount of commitment is there.
    I guess what I am asking firstly is: does the shape of the tank effect the ceph. I was thinking of a large L shape tank so it can have more territory. Along with that what kind of a filtration, skimming, and or monitoring system would you suggest. The jeyyfish tank came with all of this which let me take some of the thought out of it http://www.jelliquarium.com/# I would like to have a monitoring system that is hooked up to the computer, so I can whatch the state of the tank closely.
    I know I will get a awful lot of opinions here so have at it and try not to cunfuse me plz. lol

Bill

2. bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Vampyroteuthis Supporter

:welcome: Bill!! Glad you joined our little world here! There are a number of excellent articles I would suggest you read on this website under Articles, then look under Ceph Care articles. Both Nancy and Colin have written on this subject. When you do come to a decision and set up the tank, we'd love to see some pictures! Good luck!! :grin:

3. zsmackless1

ok

thank you for the quick response,
    I have read all of the articles. So I am guessing ( always dangerious) that shape is not a huge factor. What i am looking for from the vets here are some names of products that they have used sucsesfuly to raise thier octos. I have a 210 gal L shaped tank is too large a bad thing. I know that i will make mistakes but I would like to minimise them. so any extra help is welcome
    Bill

4. zsmackless1

5. Illithid

Illithid Vampyroteuthis Supporter

210 would be fine even for a O. vulgaris - a good sized octo. I wouldn't go with anything smaller or you wouldn't see it. The L shape wouldn't be a problem for octos, but could be for cuttlefish (butt burn). Wider is better than taller in all shapes.

I have heard good things about the turbofloater skimmer. A good rule of thumb is to bio-filter and skim at a rate of at least twice the tank volume. Cephs put out more nitrogeneous waste then fish of the same weight, so ammonia buildup is a big problem.

One thing I don't understand on the system you linked to- how big is the sump in case of the power going out? Looks like half height of 24 x 16 which is what? 10 gallons? On a 210 gallon you would have a pool on the floor. I set up 90 gallons for my 240. If it were a water tight enclosure it wouldnt be a problem, but it has sliding doors on the front.