Dr. Wood video

gmcbride

Cuttlefish
Registered
I am using Cephalopod articles like "How Cephalopods Change Color" by Dr. James Wood et al. Some of the articles refer to images and video at http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/. I have not been able to find images or video at this site.
As a high school Marine Bio teacher I value any resources any of you can point me toward for my students.
thanks

I suspect you want this URL:
Octopus, Squid, Cuttlefish, and Nautilus - The Cephalopod Page
and
CephBase, OBIS and Standardization - The Cephalopod Page

I don't believe James is keeping this website updated and the navigation is a bit confusing but the search function may be helpful locating the articles you need. At the bottom of the page is a site map and one of the pages listed has a list of publications with links that may also provide a good source for the students.

Try googling: YouTube James Wood Cephalopod
for videos referenced, I think Ceph placed most of them on YouTube for streaming.

Another source, particularly for camouflage will be Dr. Roger Hanlon. I believe he is now no longer teaching and only concentrating on research but searching for "Hanlon cephalopod" will give you a ton of references, many should be openly available to your students. Sadly many are still only accessible through subscriptions. However, he does have a nice list of camouflage research PDF's accessible directly from the site under Camouflage and Adaptive Coloration

The Cephalopod Sequencing Consortium, http://cephseq.org/index.html may be more science than the students are ready for but some of the introduction is likely useful as well as viewing a bit of what is being studied.

Post a request for specific topics if these links and their lists don't provide enough for your students needs :wink: but it should be a good start.

I wonder if any of you would be up for an update of Dr. Wood's fantastic educational articles. His articles are great. The links are no longer functional. High school students today are woeful at reading and imagining. But they are marvelous users of multiple images and quick videos. The image resources are available but not in a linked and usable, organized format. I am a teacher who is very motivated to teach students about cephalopods. I dedicate two weeks of my Marine Bio class to the topic. But I over use long video sources produced by Nova and Nature. I need rapidly accessible on topic short clips.
It would be marvelous if teachers from kindergarten to college could use Tonmo as a curriculum resource. The knowledge and resources already exist on Tonmo. But they take expertise and time to find. Not many teachers have the expertise. None of them have the time during the school year.
Anybody up for this?

mcblsb,
I could give setting up some internal links a shot but need three or four examples of the kind of material you would find useful. Ceph (Dr Wood), as far as I know, is off doing some freelance work and not officially teaching at the moment but I will try to contact him to see if we can add some of his older material that is no longer accessible.

http://www.aptoshs.net/cms/resource...77549&group_id=1267280177549&id=1365834845656

Here are links to Dr. Wood's articles and questions I wrote to guide (force to look at and perhaps even read) the articles. What I would find particularly useful would be an organized set of links to short video clips that demonstrate: kinds of cephs, adaptations of cephs, science explaining those adaptations, general wow coolness of cephs.

I'll see what I can come up with and try to get info from Ceph when I stumble looking for currency. Would member videos of home kept cephs be acceptable for "wow" factors? I could look for some of the best of the best that would not be scientific in content but might hook some of the students on overall coolness (one being the cuttle video Thales posted that I dug up for you awhile back).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back