• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dozen eggs! On the way!!

woke up this morning to one live cuttle and one dead cuttle and one MISSING cuttle! not sure what happened. the one remaining definitely looks like he/she is bigger and eating. there is only one amphipod left in the net. have not seen it eat yet though. so, my report isnt great, but not horrible. probably going to order more from paradise pets so i can have a group. hopefully, things will go a little better. not feeling too optimistic about the last bunch of eggs. they're almost nothing at this point.
ill take a pic of my lil dude when i can figure out how to get my camera to focus on him. he/she's pretty cute.

hmmmmm the missing one could just be hiding. What kind of filter are you using, is there anyway he/she would be able to swim into it?

i have a pretty inaccessible overflow on the other side of the tank from their net. i wouldnt have thought that there was any way for the little guy to get out, but im fairly confident that there's only one cuttle in the tank, especially, now since its been several hours since i first checked.

i saw the cuttle eat, im pretty sure. he lunged forward suddenly and flashed colors.
still "seems" to be growing. mobility is getting better. im keeping a variety of pod sizes in the net with him to make sure there is something manageable within reach. bought two 27 gal "tough totes" to make a DSB and fuge. bringing that discussion over to tank talk...

could not find any test kit that measured a small enough amount nor anyone that could give me a solid answer about testing salt water. it seemed like it was a very odd thing to be looking for. however, there is a live and, apparently, thriving cuttle living in that same system. ive changed over about 50 gallons of water since i realized the potential problem and installed a poly-pad to pull out any remaining metal. im fairly confident at this point that there wasnt enough copper introduced to the system to effect the silicone or bond with it. Im also adding another 50or so gallons worth of refugium to the system that could help spread out any potential release of copper from the silicone in the future, in case it did. thats about a 50% increase in total volume. sorry i dont have anything concrete to report. i kinda got tired of everyone rolling their eyes at me about my "potential" .25ppb of copper. what can i say? im an artist, not a scientist.

cuttle is doing well. he really doesnt like to be disturbed. i have one of those net breeders that you cannot see into very well from the side and so i have to look in from above. i can only imagine that my head appears to be something of an imposing threat, because he/she doesnt feel comfortable doing much when i indulge in a peek over the top of the tank. which is often.
will post pics when i find the charger to my camera. i know you all are dying to see another pic of another baby cuttle in a breeder net.

So you only ended up with 1 baby from all of the eggs? If this is the case, I would be willing to send you a few more eggs if you'll cover shipping. Is possible priority mail me to you is 1 to 2 days, if you want to avoid the $40+ overnight option.

I am not sure if 2 day transit is acceptable for cuttlefish eggs. Anybody know?

To SOME places (my location NOT being one of them) from specific other places (you can find out on USPS.com) there is an option for 1 day mail. It is not guaranteed and more expensive than mailing priority but usually less than FedEx or USPS overnight and is fairly reliable (we can use it to Neal's office but then what ever it is sits there a day unless I make the 2+ hour round trip).

I personally wouldnt ship 2 days using USPS. They delay things so often I would be concerned about the risk. I know that if you check UPS and FEDEX they have a shipping zone that you can look to see how long it will take a package to get to you via ground. I can ship from houston texas to almost anywhere in texas and some of LA with ground shipping in one day and not pay to much in shipping. I get coral frags sometimes from LA and because it takes them one day to get to me I pay like 10$ for ground shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back