• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dozen eggs! On the way!!

Somewhere in years prior posts I remember either Paradox (where is he anyway) or Thales mentioning that they have not had any to live that hatched before the yolk sack had been consumed. Hopefully Thales will comment since he has had a large number of hatchlings since.

yeah, i remembered reading that somewhere. it all runs together, and you dont know who wrote what, when you try to consume all that info at once.
anyway, i have a surprise for everyone that i will post up in a little while. kinda cool.

but, the two that had yolk sacs are dead.

About an hour ago I had eggs cupped in my hand right at the surface and an egg "popped" as the hatchling came out tail first. I couldn't believe I saw it! I transferred eggs to a cup for a minute and when I put them back another had hatched. The 2 deflated eggs have a perfectly round hole in them roughly the size of the girth of the hatchlings, maybe 1/8".

snowmaker;159345 said:
About an hour ago I had eggs cupped in my hand right at the surface and an egg "popped" as the hatchling came out tail first. I couldn't believe I saw it! I transferred eggs to a cup for a minute and when I put them back another had hatched. The 2 deflated eggs have a perfectly round hole in them roughly the size of the girth of the hatchlings, maybe 1/8".

dude. your the damn cuttle whisperer.

It would be a very good thing is you find they will eat these things frozen early on. The cost of keeping live is obnoxious and I don't recall if anyone tried freezing them (vs buying frozen). With my last to disasters with shipping and heat, I have frozen the live shore shrimp I bought and am feeding the briareus hatchlings (now at 2 months so besides being octopuses, they are significantly older) successfully.

well, the cost of going and collecting pods from the shore is not super prohibitive, but the time and stress involved with coordinating tide schedules with my schedule and jersey traffic patterns can be high. i would much prefer to drive to the lfs to purchase some frozen morsels, whatever that may be.

low tide, or about 2hrs after low tide, as its coming back in. find a beach or waterway that has some flat rocks. take a tupperware bin and a cup. as you flip the rocks, notice if there are pods in the sand and on the rock. scoop the first inch of sand, if you see some and toss it in your tupperware and dunk the rock in the tupperware to rinse off any. i can gather quite a few in 1.5hrs this way. watch out for bristleworms. just dont touch them with your hands. they wont hurt anything in your tank, but often things will eat them. shore shrimp tear 'em up. good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back