• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Dozen eggs! On the way!!

I know it is normal for octopuses to lay infertile eggs when it is "time" and just before laying them they are ravenous. I don't think you can extrapolate to cuttles though and I don't remember anyone mentioning egg laying with only a female in the tank. We have had lots of eggs that did not hatch so the presence of the male may have something to do with it.

chunk is right around 4 months old. the other cuttle, lil dude, is about 2.5months? they are on the same system, but different tanks. i suspect lil dude is a male. just a hunch. he's much smaller though. once they are closer in size, i will introduce them. thanks for the responses.

this is a pair of chunky's eggs. i know they arent viable, but im going to let them hang out for a while. thats probably not a bad idea, right?

Attachments

• conv_297125.jpg
    conv_297125.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
After much searching, I looked up when mine started mating...
Well, after leaving this post about cuttlefish dates, I caught Baby A and Cuddly, er um "cuddling". I definitely have two boys (Cuddly and Scrunchy) and one girl. She seems to prefer Cuddly at the moment. I will post pictures tonight after my kids are asleep. It seems a little soon for them to be mating (they are about 3 months old), but maybe they are just practicing. Scrunchy had his beak out trying to bite Cuddly... they looked like they were serious...

From this thread... WC bandensis eggs! starting at post #182

So, you could try introducing them to each other. I would put the male in a small breeder tank in the female's tank and see what transpires.

woke up yesterday morning to discover that chunk was dead. she was on the bottom of her tank just sitting there. from what i could tell, there were no outward signs of senescence or degradation of condition till yesterday. over the last several weeks, she has been more social and seemed to recognize all her housemates and sought out company by swimming in our direction and gazing out at us. my other cuttle, little man, is, apparently, doing well. i am going to order some more eggs, if they are available, in early spring. hope everyone is doing well.

noah

I used a HACH colorimeter and HACH CuVer ampules to determine the copper content of the system. I have a system with .05 ppm copper and a healthy cuttlefish resides in it. So .25ppb should not be an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back