Donald (B) - O.hummelincki

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I went through hell the last two weeks trying to get what was suppose to be two different species of octo one "large" and one "small" well the first two got held up in shipping and were DOA at the LFS. The second two are lost in space, yup neither the LFS, the supplier or the airline could find them. then the third pair missed there plane. and finally today they arrived. They are both O.hummelincki

This thread will be for the larger of the two which I placed in my 125g tank, there was no acclimation just a direct plop into the tank. as my water and my LFS both use the same saltwater and temps. or parameters match up perfectly.

I think noname A is a male, do to his third arm being curled at all times.

I guesstimate his mantle to be about 2.5"

This journal will be for noname B.
this octo is in my 55g tank.
again no acclimation, as I use the same saltwater as the LFS and our parameters and temp match perfectly.

mantle is just a little smaller at about 2"
no guess on sex as I have not gotten as good a look at this one.

Both octopuses seem very social, almost too social. B let me pet his mantle while he explored my hand with a few arms. he was sitting in an upper corner of the tank so I stuck my hand in there and he had no fear. It makes me a little worried that these both may already be senescent.

nonameB.jpg

You bring up an interesting thought. I wonder what one would do in a hampster ball if you could ensure that it had enough oxygen (potential show stopper) and no leaks. Not likely a good idea even if the oxygen and leaks could be worked out because of the stress but an interesting mental picture.

Male...enlarged suckers and third arm is curled. ..

we played a little follow the finger on the glass just now.

the under side of B is very orange, much more so than A.
B is showing typical relaxed hummelincki coloration, where as A is flashing speraticly and has remained super spikey. I believe B is more comfortable than A. B explored the tank and seemed to settle in nicely; however A was all over and i'm not sure he has found a den at all. He spent most of the evening last night spying on me.

Donald is also great. it is amazing how similar the two octos are. they both seem to eat and hunt at the same times, which seem random to me. Donald is not quite as good a shrimp hunter as Daffy, so he get fed from a skewer more often, when i see him struggling to get a shrimp i just grab one and hand it to him. Socially he is a little better that Daffy. if you approach Daffy's tank too quickly he inks and shoots off to the rocks but I have never seen Donald do this. he seems fearless of humans. When I stick my hand in his tank he comes right over to it investigates it then goes away.

B1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

Congratulations! Looking at your journal I actually got excited. My life is not quite back on track. I need a good kick in the pants occasionally. :roll:
I am working on getting my tanks back in shape, they have been neglected due to resent events. I have a lot of hair algae in my 120, never did find Aqua which explains what caused it. I was beginning to think my passion for this hobby had died.
You always find the prefect music to accompany your videos :biggrin2:

They are both just precious. To get my hands on a male O.hummelincki would be a dream come true!

well unfortunately for the past weeK Donald has had the tell tale grey coloration, weak syphon, and droopy arms. he died this morning around 10am. He was truly the perfect little octo. he loved to be observed and he was out 100% of the time. he never took a den, he would sleep curled up on either my magna-float, or right behind the filter intake.

I wish I had journal and photo'd him more he was a very amusing octopus. he would often prance around the tank with black and white vertical stripes and with his mantle stretched out and pointing straight up. To me he looked like he was imitating the Pope. I have seen daffy do it a few times, but not as much as Donald.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back