Dolphin Cephalopod interactions

flyngurnard

Hatchling
Registered
While offshore the east coast of FL I have seen a few occurances of dolphins interacting with O. vulgaris and was wondering if there has been any other observations like this in the area or any directed look at how frequently it maybe happening. The dolphins were seen tossing around the unlucky octopus for a short time and then taking it below - i assume to consume it. If you can offer any insight it would be appreciated.

Dolphins do consume octopuses as food and are considered a primary predator. I have previously posted a note about a friends fishing adventure where a dolphin threw an octopus on the boat. I have wondered about the dolphin and the killer whale's purpose in tossing food in the air (seal pups in the case of the killer whale) and it has occured to me that it may have something to do with tenderizing the meat or disrupting/bursting the internal organs more than anything related to play but my friends experience would suggest more of a play activity.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back