Doing research project on Octopus!

Hey guys, i'll be doing a huge research project presentation for my marine/environmental class. It's a few months away, but im getting prepared for it now since im so excited, but I need a little help.

The downside to this project is it must have something bad included that effects the animals in a harmful way. Obviously my backround information will include all the cool biological stuff I know about Octo's since im completely comfortable with that, but they aren't endagered animals.

I just need help with what to include about whats harming the octopus significantly. I do know they are sometimes heavily fished in certain areas in the world, and they are eaten LIVE as a delicacy in parts of asia, but I need big resources to cover that information...and I cant find any info related to this.

Please help!! thanks

Armstrong,
You may be in trouble with finding negative effects on Octos or squid in the current enviornment as they actually seem to be increasing in numbers with the higher nutrient levels. You may want to consider something like the Wonderpus or Mimic where the numbers are know to be limited but there has not yet been a CITIES ruling against capture and exploitation. If that fits your needs, getting Neogonodactylus and/or Mucktopus' attention might offer some direction.

There's a report of an octopus population being wiped out by a red tide in (I think) Florida. Although it's probably not an isolated case it's still an isolated report and not enough to sustain your project.

The EU put limits on the Octopus vulgaris fishery in the Med. Sea. because they were overfished. Being short-lived, semelparous (reproducing only once) animals, they can actually be pretty heavily impacted by overfishing. There's some similar info on management of the CA Market squid Loligo (now Doryteuthis).

The problem with this subject is that so little is actually known about octopus fisheries. One of the bigger exports from small islands across the Pacific, Octopus cyanea is unmonitored throughout most - if not all- of its range. But the fishery itself can be quite destructive, with people rampling reef flats at low tide and using crowbars to topple coral for octos, or people with poor aim hitting coral with spear guns.

good luck!

thanks guys. I'll try to look deeper into this. If anyone can find some info related to the asians eating them live let me know. I definately consider that one of the serious cases but their's hardly any data on statistics, or hard facts in good amounts.

Jean;132876 said:
squid are harvested in large numbers usually pre spawning, I would imagine that octopus harvested for food are in the same state!

J

yea, thats another thing I heard of. I just need the resources to prove it.

were basically doing a presentation research project, so we dont read off anything since we memorize information, but its part of our grade to have resources to back up what were saying from the internet, books, mags...ect. I just cant find any lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back