DOES OCTO SMELL?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by nickcoletti, Jun 4, 2007.

1. nickcoletti

nickcoletti O. bimaculoides Registered

IM JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE I THREW A FIDDLER IN THE TANK AND MY OCTOPUS WENT RIGHT PAST HIM, I MEAN AN INCH AWAY AND THESE FIDDLERS ARE BIG! HES GOT HIS HUNTING COLORS FLASHING LIKE HE KNOWS SOMETHINGS AROUND BUT HE CANT PIN POINT IT. ITS DONE THIS A FEW TIMES AND IM JUST CURIOUS IF THEY REPLY MORE ON SEEING THAN SMELLING THE PREY?

2. Opcn

Opcn GPO Supporter

Caps lock is an annoyance

Octos have well developed senses of sight and smell/taste

3. nickcoletti

I WAS JUST CURIOUS, THANKS!

4. Opcn

Opcn GPO Supporter

[​IMG]
    Seven sixteenths of one inch, that's the distance you'd have to move your pinky.

5. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

lol

6. Tone1987

Tone1987 Blue Ring Supporter

wow someone is a little cranky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

7. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Its actually 1/4th inch on my laptop

8. aximbigfan

aximbigfan GPO Registered

TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF ITS REALLY EASY!!!!!!!!!

chris

9. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

How old and/or big is your octopus? As they near the end of their lives, their eyesight seems to diminish. The other possibility is that the fiddler was too close to the octopus. My cuttles have to be a certain distance away from a shrimp in order to catch it. If the shrimp is too close, they have to back up in order to take aim. It would depend on how your octopus hunts.

10. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

irony: an all caps message with a missing apostrophe and 9 exclamation marks joining in to complain about someone's overzealous use of capital letters.

Although I found the original message is somewhat annoying to read, I wasn't terribly impressed with the style in all of the responses, either... and I'd prefer not to make people with legitimate octopus questions feel attacked too much around here. It's worth noting that there are punctuation, spelling, or grammar errors in every post in the thread except for nickcoletti's second post (and maybe this one, if I'm lucky.)
    (edit: and Cuttlegirl's post, who snuck in as I was typing this one.)

To address the original question: octopuses hunt both visually and by using a their suckers to taste, smell, and touch. They certainly recognize prey visually when it's in sight, but they often reach into nooks and crannies seeking food, even if they can't see it. I'm not sure if many studies have been done about long-distance chemical sensing like smell... Hanlon & Messenger suggest that the research that has been done shows that smell is an important factor in finding food for octopuses in particular. Octopus suckers have about 100 times as many smell/taste sensing cells as squids and cuttles, who hunt mostly visually. Cephs also have olfactory organs near their eyes, but very little is known about their use relative to the suckers' sense of smell.

I don't know why your octo would be ignoring the crab, though... usually, they're very good at being aware of their prey by both smell and sight, and if it was showing hunting patterning, it seems likely it was aware of where the crab was. Maybe it's either "playing cat and mouse" with the crab, or it wants to eat the crab but thinks it's too big to handle?

11. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

I thought proper usage was to have the period outside the parens, unless the entire statement was in parens, in which case it should be inside.

Example:

vs.

But that might just be a rule in my own head...

:nofeet:

12. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

No, it's not in your own head, you're correct. :grin:

13. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

ok, so I'm not lucky (:oops:).

yeesh. I've been doing that wrong since high school, I guess. I was taught that parentheses had the same weird typographic-aesthetic rule as quotes for including the punctuation inside, unless the expression is very short. Since my point was that s/he who is without linguistic sin should cast the first stone, though, that just rules out me out along with everyone but Cuttlegirl and Tony from complaining harshly....

Can we get back to talking about octopuses now?

14. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I am QuitE! Hedonistic when, it comes to (linguistic) "sin".

15. nickcoletti

just for the principle im going to finish in CAPS, FROM WHAT I KNOW MY OCTO IS ONLY ABOUT 6-7 MONTHS, AND NO ITS NOT THAT ITS TO CONTINUES TO LOOK ALL NIGHT. ITS NOT EVERY TIME I FEED JUST ONCE IN A WHILE. I CAN TELL HE HAS NO CLUE THAT ITS THERE AND THE CRABS I FEED ARE BIG. MAYBE BEING CAPTIVE RAISED HAS SOMTHING TO DO WITH IT BECAUSE WHEN I FIRST GOT IT IT HAD NO HUNTING SKILLS WHAT SO EVER IT SEEMED. thanks for the "real help" cuttle girl and monty! OPCN, THANKS ALSO FOR YOUR HELPFULL $.02!!

16. pipsquek

pipsquek Wonderpus Supporter

The only person I know that types with all caps is my grandmother, but that's because she can't see a damn thing. But her grammer and punctuation is spot on because she was a secretary for years and years. She probably still types faster than me as well.

I pretty much disregard it. If you've been using the internet for any substantial amount of time, and haven't learned to care about that particular bit of culture, then I don't have a lot of hope for you. Typing in caps out of principle? What misguided priciples do you live your life by? Does that mean that you will torture your pets "out of priniciple" when someone suggests that you shouldn't?

Sorry Tony/Monty/Cuttlegirl, I really don't have anything topical to say.

17. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

^ That seemed harshly unnecessary...^

18. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Brock, it probably was, but understand that adults tend to view these things very differently. People in just about every field are beginning to get resumes from new graduates that disregard the time-tested conventions of our language. It's frightening because it suggests that the entire "cell phone generation" is lacking critical skills necessary for coherent communication. I believe the single most important thing a young person of any age should do to prepare themselves for success in our new digital world is to give up the "internet shorthand" in all forms, even when emailing or messaging with friends. I've noticed in my scant teaching experience that the more students get used to using a shorthand the more difficult it is to use proper form in assignments. All the little rules: punctuation inside quotes, it's vs. its, they're vs. their vs. there; they all get forgotten because they're not being reinforced every day. It is essential that students get used to typing properly because when they get out in the real world they'll be expected to, and many will be in over their heads.

I truly apologize for taking this further off topic, but I think there might be a greater good served for our younger members to understand why there's often a "grammar police" on boards like this.

Dan

19. nickcoletti

i must have missed the memo on this forum.... i haven't been in here for about month or 2, you people are pathetic now! i ask a real question just out of curiosity and the first response i get is "cap locks is an annoyance". what the real annoyance here in my eyes is each and everyone of you that went off subject which for most part is everyone. this is a ceph forum, its not an English class, and more importantly its not a forum 101 class. i went from enjoying this forum and reading it all the time to it just making me sick in just one thread, im afraid to post or comment another one....I MIGHT THROW UP!

20. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

There was no memo on the forum. Okay, let's try this again.

1) We are not pathetic. Caps lock is, the English language is not to be mutilated.

2) In order to get questions answered, one must make sure that others understand and do NOT act like a annoyance.

3) Your eyes =/= Our eyes. If you have problem with certain members or the way we do things here. Log off and remove this website from your memory.

4) This is a forum that utilises English, not CAPSLOCKNESE or nickcolettinese.

5) Go to school, learn English or go to any self respecting forum you wish. You will come upon the conclusion that BOLD LETTERS AND CAPITAL LETTERS are used to highlight or emphasis a point. Your usage of it is the Net Equivalent of shouting in a library, which is bad.

6) I am personally glad that you enjoy reading the forum, BECUASE IF WE ALL TYPE LIKE THIS IT WOULD BE ANNOYING FOR THE REST OF US AND MAKE IT NOT ENJOYABLE.

As far as your question is concerned, I am no expert in the field, but considering that Octo's seem to have good vision in the animal kingdom, it would be safe to assume that eyesight would play a role in hunting. But octos do not have a nose, do they detect minute changes in "water flavor" with their suckers, I do not know.