• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

does anyone know where to get Sepia officinalis cuttlefish?

All,

I am still interested in trying to find a place that sells the larger type of cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis). Does anyone know were they can be purchased, octopets is gone and I haven't found anyplace that sells them online. I am currently trying the smaller with little success. Hopefully the problem is resolved but I still like the larger cuttlefish much better. Mine old ones were very playful and would shoot you with ink if they didn't get the attention they wanted. :wink:

Thanks so much,
Mike Bauer

Attachments

• conv_304446.jpg
    conv_304446.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 135
Well I have heard and had personal experience with wild caught mysis and I will tell you go with the more expensive but better quality lab grown mysis. The live longer and are more nutritious I believe and arent as sensitive. You will probably have better results with the lab grown.

The PH isnt that big of a deal. It should be fine as long as its not swinging drastically.

S. officinalis are very difficult for Public Aquariums to get in the US, and now virtually impossible for hobbyists to get.

Mike Bauer;174804 said:
Well, sad as I am now down to 1 cuttlefish baby, now that I have ordered the correct food.

Bummer.

I am now doing a 20% water change and pulling out the test tube saltwater tester, instead of the drip strips.

Please throw away the strips. They are not accurate enough to be usful.

I see the PH is low about 8.00 instead of 8.2, so I am adjusting it to 8.2

Adjusting the pH is likely to be more problematic than leaving it alone. 7.8 - 8.6 is fine

. I spoke to Mike at the forbidden site

Please stop this kind of thing - its combative. Thanks.

I am going to do a massive water change on the cuttle tank and test the crap out of it with a real tester before going forward but I have mysid shrimp arriving wed or thur.

Why do the water change? Do you have any indication that the water is bad? Seems really likely that food is the problem. That said, what are the numbers you are getting with your new testkits?

I have set up a breeder tank for the mysid shrimp, per the instructions of the supplier, but he said it is hard to so so they just catch them and sell them. Any thoughts on my problem? What should I do?

Do you mean trying to breed the mysis? That is a signifigant undertanking and will be more work than keeping the cuttles. Who is the supplier and what are their instructions?

The only water issue was a low ph 8.0 and high nitrate little over 0. Plus a lack of mysid shrimp. Please anyone who has had any luck let me know what you think!

What kind of test kit are you using?

I just realized another reason you may not be getting more responses. You are asking questions in thread that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. People read the subject and move on if they aren't interested. I you started a single thread for S. officinalis, but had a different thread where you were asking about the problems with S. bandensis, more people would prolly pay better attention. :biggrin2:

How true this is off topic. Please only post to this thread if it is about getting Sepia officinalis. Please delete any post response that is off this topic, I have.

Mike Bauer

Still if I can get them I want them! I like them much better than the dwarf type.
God I miss Octopets! I wish I could finfd out were they got eggs from. :sad:
Mike

What kill me is that I can get as many fresh dead ones as I want at the market 2 miles from my house but to get a live one is next to impossible. They must get in 50 to 100 a week, makes be so sad to see them on ice. :sad:

Has anyone heard from Jim at Octopets, I know he closed down but did anyone keep in touch? I would like to know where he got his eggs and how much red tape was involved in getting them.

Well, Good new I got 2 ordered. It was 2 eggs but before they shipped the order it became one egg and one baby. This is a great day.
They just called back and might be getting more eggs in later in the week.

I really don't know, I am taking the word of the shop that is sending them to me. They are larger eggs than the dwarf and they come out of the Indonesia. I am told the owner of the shop is very experienced with cuttlefish. But it is a pig in a poke. They will arrive later today. Been looking at plastic tanks 300 to 600 gal for when they get older, should be able to keep in a 30 to 55 for a few months.

Well nothing ever goes as planned. Package arrived today with 1 cuttlefish in it and no egg. The baby cuttlefish is a little larger than the dwarf babies I have. Called the store to find out both hatched and one died shortly after birth. Shop described the eggs as redish brown, larger than a grape but smaller than a golf ball (in between). More eggs are on order and should arrive at the store soon, they will call then they get in and send me the rest of my order.

Still looking, have multiple places checking their overseas sources to see if the can get them for me. One place might be able to get them but I still waiting on an update. I will work with a friend to see if we can't get them and maybe get them to breed. He has more resources than I do and might be able to raise them for sale on the market again some day.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back