does anyone know where to get Sepia officinalis cuttlefish?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by Mike Bauer, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Mike Bauer

Mike Bauer Vampyroteuthis Registered

All,

I am still interested in trying to find a place that sells the larger type of cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis). Does anyone know were they can be purchased, octopets is gone and I haven't found anyplace that sells them online. I am currently trying the smaller with little success. Hopefully the problem is resolved but I still like the larger cuttlefish much better. Mine old ones were very playful and would shoot you with ink if they didn't get the attention they wanted. :wink:

Thanks so much,
    Mike Bauer

Attached Files:

2. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I wished I did. That would be SOO cool.

3. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Well I have heard and had personal experience with wild caught mysis and I will tell you go with the more expensive but better quality lab grown mysis. The live longer and are more nutritious I believe and arent as sensitive. You will probably have better results with the lab grown.

The PH isnt that big of a deal. It should be fine as long as its not swinging drastically.

4. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

S. officinalis are very difficult for Public Aquariums to get in the US, and now virtually impossible for hobbyists to get.

Bummer.

Please throw away the strips. They are not accurate enough to be usful.

Adjusting the pH is likely to be more problematic than leaving it alone. 7.8 - 8.6 is fine

Please stop this kind of thing - its combative. Thanks.

Why do the water change? Do you have any indication that the water is bad? Seems really likely that food is the problem. That said, what are the numbers you are getting with your new testkits?

Do you mean trying to breed the mysis? That is a signifigant undertanking and will be more work than keeping the cuttles. Who is the supplier and what are their instructions?

What kind of test kit are you using?

I just realized another reason you may not be getting more responses. You are asking questions in thread that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. People read the subject and move on if they aren't interested. I you started a single thread for S. officinalis, but had a different thread where you were asking about the problems with S. bandensis, more people would prolly pay better attention. :grin:

5. Mike Bauer

How true this is off topic. Please only post to this thread if it is about getting Sepia officinalis. Please delete any post response that is off this topic, I have.

Mike Bauer

6. Mike Bauer

Still looking for the larger type of cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis)

7. Thales

-

8. Mike Bauer

Still if I can get them I want them! I like them much better than the dwarf type.
    God I miss Octopets! I wish I could finfd out were they got eggs from. :sad:
    Mike

9. Mike Bauer

What kill me is that I can get as many fresh dead ones as I want at the market 2 miles from my house but to get a live one is next to impossible. They must get in 50 to 100 a week, makes be so sad to see them on ice. :sad:

Has anyone heard from Jim at Octopets, I know he closed down but did anyone keep in touch? I would like to know where he got his eggs and how much red tape was involved in getting them.

10. Mike Bauer

Well, Good new I got 2 ordered. It was 2 eggs but before they shipped the order it became one egg and one baby. This is a great day.
    They just called back and might be getting more eggs in later in the week.

11. Thales

How do you know what species they are?

12. Mike Bauer

I really don't know, I am taking the word of the shop that is sending them to me. They are larger eggs than the dwarf and they come out of the Indonesia. I am told the owner of the shop is very experienced with cuttlefish. But it is a pig in a poke. They will arrive later today. Been looking at plastic tanks 300 to 600 gal for when they get older, should be able to keep in a 30 to 55 for a few months.

13. Thales

What color are the eggs?

14. Mike Bauer

Well nothing ever goes as planned. Package arrived today with 1 cuttlefish in it and no egg. The baby cuttlefish is a little larger than the dwarf babies I have. Called the store to find out both hatched and one died shortly after birth. Shop described the eggs as redish brown, larger than a grape but smaller than a golf ball (in between). More eggs are on order and should arrive at the store soon, they will call then they get in and send me the rest of my order.

15. Mike Bauer

Still looking, have multiple places checking their overseas sources to see if the can get them for me. One place might be able to get them but I still waiting on an update. I will work with a friend to see if we can't get them and maybe get them to breed. He has more resources than I do and might be able to raise them for sale on the market again some day.

16. Mike Bauer

The store called today they are shipping me 3 eggs Monday, they are much larger than the other eggs and turning clear. Sounds like what I am looking for to me at this point. They get 12 eggs in at a time but they are mixed. The others are the smaller grape sized eggs; 2 hatched in transit unsure what they are over the phone. Thank god someone can get them. :cool:

17. Mike Bauer

Well 3 more eggs /babies order and on the way suppose to be Sepia officinalis

18. Mike Bauer

All 3 eggs hatched, before I got them but the babies are twice the size of the dwarf babies. Need to start on getting them to eat now. I am going with the mysid but in the past I used baby saltwater guppies from Octopets. He sent me month old babies so I think I need to start with smaller food. I have them in a 30 gal, fully cycled tank at 68 degrees. I did a slow acclimation after they arrived today. They are in a breeder net on the side of the tank with the filter pushing water though the net. :smile:

19. Mike Bauer

Three arrived alive, 1 died the 1st day, 1 dies the 2nd day, the last one died the 3rd day. I am done with this for now.
    Maybe I will try again after I am employed and can afford it. :confused: