• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

do octopus need any light at all?

passis

Hatchling
Registered
Hey guys, congratulations for this great resorce website, since one year i spend 1 hour a day reading about octopus and its cares about how to have one happy at your home, so i start this hooby "Fishkeeping" just to have a octopus pet, cause since i was young i'm really fascinated on these peculiar and very very strange creatures! .. ok cut of the bull**

So has i told before i start this hobby just to have one octopus, and i started from zero! so now my tank is mature for 2 months and ready to host my pet, i did not get any lights to mature the aqua i save some good money and i save my system from algae to.

Since i live in south of Portugal, just by the beach :P, i can easily get a vulgaris octupus, i'm aware of the the grow issue(100gal of tank), and i get them for free witch is very good on the specie choice issue to.
so my question is really simple..

do i need any lighting at all in the tank? and why? :smile:

My best regards to all, i just love this 'corner'!
Pedro

Welcome to TONMO. Octopuses have no known need for tank lighting. If yo are not trying to keep corals you should be ready for an octopus soon.

:welcome: I would put a cheap desk lamp or something on there at least just to keep it's "calendar" on track. I know I would go crazy if I never knew if it were day or night, but apart from that, there's no need.

Hi, and welcome to TONMO.com!

It's never totally dark in the places where they live in the ocean - so you need some ambient light. What you probably don't need is some light over the tank.

What else is living/growing in the tank?

Nancy

Nancy;149885 said:
Hi, and welcome to TONMO.com!

It's never totally dark in the places where they live in the ocean - so you need some ambient light. What you probably don't need is some light over the tank.

What else is living/growing in the tank?

Nancy

Hey guys, thanks for the answers, as soon i've put the octopus inside the tank, some nassarius, some hermit crabs and the octopus will be the only living inside.
I have ambient light witch is the room top lights!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back