do octopus need any light at all?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by passis, Feb 9, 2010.

1. passis

passis Larval Mass Registered

Hey guys, congratulations for this great resorce website, since one year i spend 1 hour a day reading about octopus and its cares about how to have one happy at your home, so i start this hooby "Fishkeeping" just to have a octopus pet, cause since i was young i'm really fascinated on these peculiar and very very strange creatures! .. ok cut of the bull**

So has i told before i start this hobby just to have one octopus, and i started from zero! so now my tank is mature for 2 months and ready to host my pet, i did not get any lights to mature the aqua i save some good money and i save my system from algae to.

Since i live in south of Portugal, just by the beach :P, i can easily get a vulgaris octupus, i'm aware of the the grow issue(100gal of tank), and i get them for free witch is very good on the specie choice issue to.
    so my question is really simple..

do i need any lighting at all in the tank? and why? :)

My best regards to all, i just love this 'corner'!
    Pedro

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to TONMO. Octopuses have no known need for tank lighting. If yo are not trying to keep corals you should be ready for an octopus soon.

3. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

:welcome: I would put a cheap desk lamp or something on there at least just to keep it's "calendar" on track. I know I would go crazy if I never knew if it were day or night, but apart from that, there's no need.

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi, and welcome to TONMO.com!

It's never totally dark in the places where they live in the ocean - so you need some ambient light. What you probably don't need is some light over the tank.

What else is living/growing in the tank?

Nancy

5. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome:

6. passis

passis Larval Mass Registered

Hey guys, thanks for the answers, as soon i've put the octopus inside the tank, some nassarius, some hermit crabs and the octopus will be the only living inside.
    I have ambient light witch is the room top lights!