Do I Need This?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by SniperX8, Jan 11, 2008.

1. SniperX8

SniperX8 Cuttlefish Registered

Hello i have a 50 gallon tank that is pretty much allset for an octo tank, i have done all my research and tank has been up and running since july 2007, i was just wondering if i need a UV Sterilizer, if i do ill buy one this week, becuase sometime next week my first octopus will arrive at my LFS and theyll give me a call when i can pick him up. And also, what does a UV Sterilizer do for the water?

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

The forum has shown mixed reviews on the use of a UV in an octo tank. The primary use of the UV in an aquarium is to keep parasites to a minimum. Parasites are not considered a problem for an octopus and so they are not needed. Several reefers feel that they do more harm than good in anything but a fish tank.

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO... yup, the consensus seems to be that they're not necessary, and might or might not be a positive at all, so you certainly shouldn't feel obligated to go buy one...

Let us know how your octo likes your tank! And pictures are always appreciated!

4. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

5. SniperX8

SniperX8 Cuttlefish Registered

ya, i got a nice camera so i can take some pictures of the octopus when i put him in the tank, thanks everyone for your answers. :)

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Skimmer:yes, UV sterilizer: not necessary. Keep us posted, sounds like a fun experience is about to occur!

Greg