• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

do dwarf octopus eat blue leg hermits?

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Octopus diet varies depending on the species of octopus and even personality of individual octopus. Most octopus owners (food slaves...) try a variety of foods until they discover which foods their octopus prefers. There are more than one species of dwarf octopus so it is hard to say if it will eat blue-legged hermits until you try.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
My mercatoris liked eating hermits and my briareus ate hermits when she was tiny. Most others don't seem to have luck feeding their mercatoris' hermits though. When all else fails, use small crabs!

Eclipse

Cuttlefish
Registered
christian39;117469 said:
I saw that my lfs was breeding crayfish and feeding the babys to his dwarf octo

I dont know if it was good for him:confused:
On a regular basis I cant imagine it being a good source of food for him, but I feed my preditor tank (mainly my puffer) 6 or so crayfish a month just to stimulate them and give a little variety to their diet.

gholland

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
My 3 month old mercs have been eating very small blue-leg hermits, but other mercs (dwhatley's) don't.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
gholland;118125 said:
My 3 month old mercs have been eating very small blue-leg hermits, but other mercs (dwhatley's) don't.
... but your little piglettes eat everything, mine have a far more refined pallet.:tongue:

gholland

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Not true! Baby #4 (I really need to come up with a name) jumped a stomatella snail the night before last, but then decided it smelled funny or something and let it go. :yuck:

Members online