Diving/snorkeling experiences with squid

I don't know the common swin mode (forward ou backward) of our squids (Loligo vulgaris) but they mostly move as you see in the video: arms first when they are close to rocks or sand probably looking for something and forward (arms behind) when they are frightened or have to move for a long distance. In fact they're swimming in the same ways as our cuttle-fishes do !

Their behaviour when we meet them is also very unpredictable except unfortunately the end (escape :wink: ) . Sometimes, you may observe them for a "long" time (2-3 minutes) as a group or an individual will not move immediately. Sometimes, the fact you have a shinning light is enough to make them run away. Sometimes with the same light, you will see one individual or a group passing by in front of you and will ignore you until you try to take a shot even without flash (they don't like my equipment :heee: ) .

I wonder if using another kind of light (other than halogen or xenon, for example HID or LEDs) may change their behaviour. With some other divers, we have observed some animals react differently to Xenon Lights and to HID. It's probably a story with color temperature of these lights.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back