disgusting.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I've seen this before :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I think it's masquerading as an educational programme too, at least that's the impression I get from the diagram of the octopus and the white coats:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

REAL Japanese researchers are not like this at all eg :drk:

j

I wish the octo had done serious damage to everybody involved with this disgusting display. Poor thing just wanted to get back in the water, no doubt. They probably ate him afterwards! They should all lose their jobs, at the very least. Don't they have any laws regarding cruelty to animals over there?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't know if they have animal cruelty laws or not...they certainly mistreat quite a lot of their food animals.

Jean;93971 said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I've seen this before :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I think it's masquerading as an educational programme too, at least that's the impression I get from the diagram of the octopus and the white coats:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

REAL Japanese researchers are not like this at all eg :drk:

j

any chance you'd like to describe what was in the video for those of us who don't have the stomach to watch?

spooky;94005 said:
any chance you'd like to describe what was in the video for those of us who don't have the stomach to watch?

a bunch of stupid japanees "game show hosts" decided it would be a good idea to put (what looks like) a gpo in a small tank, then take it out of the water and wrestle with it. they also picked it up with their mouths by biting it.

the whole time i was hopign that the octo would crawl out and start eatign them. leavign them screaming in agony in pools of their own blood.....

chris

aximbigfan;94008 said:
a bunch of stupid japanees "game show hosts" decided it would be a good idea to put (what looks like) a gpo in a small tank, then take it out of the water and wrestle with it. they also picked it up with their mouths by biting it.

the whole time i was hopign that the octo would crawl out and start eatign them. leavign them screaming in agony in pools of their own blood.....

chris

Me too!:mad:

Cruel..but to say that this is disgusting would be a exaggeration, when compared to other things that poeple do. All that I see was the octo not really bothered to move from its place when the man was in the tank trying to pry if off the bottom. Same thing happens when the octo was on top of the guy.

This is pitiful, but not terrifyingly disgusting.

chrono_war01;94022 said:
Cruel..but to say that this is disgusting would be a exaggeration, when compared to other things that poeple do. All that I see was the octo not really bothered to move from its place when the man was in the tank trying to pry if off the bottom. Same thing happens when the octo was on top of the guy.

This is pitiful, but not terrifyingly disgusting.

It is when you consider they were trying to bite it where the brain is. They were trying to kill the octopus.....on such a large one I doubt they could, so they likely inflicted a brain injury on it. This is cruel and if it had been done in NZ under the Animal Welfare Act (1999) they would be liable on

"summary conviction,---
(a) In the case of an individual, to imprisonment for a term not
exceeding 6 months or to a fine not exceeding $25,000 or to
both; or
(b) In the case of a body corporate to a fine not exceeding $125,000."

J

I think the lack of "action" on the side of the octopus is because they bite into it's central ganglion/"brain", a not so sure way of killing it, demonstrated on the small specimen at the start of the clip; might even pass for humane. I don't care a lot for the lack of respect shown, myself. Crude and unnecessary...

Edit: sorry, from the hip, overlooked Jean's post completely :oops:

rewatching it once or twice, it seems more like a very macebre way of "Bite where in case you somehow find yourself needing to kill a octopus with your bare hands." Cruel, but I guess it's still education in the lowest form possible.

chrono_war01;94073 said:
rewatching it once or twice, it seems more like a very macebre way of "Bite where in case you somehow find yourself needing to kill a octopus with your bare hands." Cruel, but I guess it's still education in the lowest form possible.

hard to say, because I don't read/understand Japanese, I have no idea what they're saying......if anyone could translate that would be good!......for all I know they're saying "this is a cool thing to do." Anyway why maim/kill an animal in a less than humane way to demonstrate this? We do dissect octopus (sorry :sad:) with students but it's either died naturally (most commonly) or we've euthanised it in the appropriate manner (very occasionally). I think a properly conducted dissection showing regard and respect for the animal has much more educational value than this kind of "aint I brave" grandstanding!

Sorry for the rant (& it's not directed at you CW :biggrin2: it's just one of my "buttons" that can be pushed very easily!!) but it's something I feel very strongly about!!!!

We jump through hoops to get permission even to hold animals for display, we have a 21 page ethics approval form and we must get approval every 3 years plus we have annual inspections, this is to display animals, use them for teaching, research...everything. (check out http://awo.otago.ac.nz if you're interested in how the Uni deals with animal welfare!) and despite whingeing every time I have to fill in a form, I think it's a good thing!!!

Cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back