Discussing the New Papers on Fossil Cephalopods

I've just added a few papers by Dr Neale Monks to the list. Enjoy!

Streuth I need a lie down :bonk:

And here are the points from Norway:

Cladistic Analysis of Albian Heteromorph Ammonites

way too heavy for my old grey cells. Though in 1997 Korn were actually working on "Follow the Leader" I believe :?

Cladistic analysis of a problematic ammonite group: the Hamitidae
(Cretaceous, Albian-Turonian) and proposals for new cladistic terms

No way José ! broke my WordWeb !

Heteromorph ammonites from the Tata limestone formation (Aptian-lower Albian), Hungary

Ahh, also known as "Things to do in Tata when you're there". now this was trés interesting, I once had a dog from Hungary, a Viszla no less called Frisbee so I've connections to things goulashian, next time I'm out that way I'll go for a tap with the BFH :biggrin2:

Sea-level change & rock-record bias in the Cretaceous: a problem for extinction & biodiversity studies

Real heavy start & WordWeb substituted taphonomic with taphephobic
with is a morbid fear of being buried alive which on reflection isn't entirely inapproprite. By the conclusion I had got to grips & was quite intrigued.

Keep 'em coming Phil :notworth: & here's a Scrumpy Jack :beer: for your efforts

Architeuthoceras said:
Fossil Cephalopod Sonification
Looks like a job for Led Zepplin :cool2: :rainbow:

Good heavens! That's one of the strangest pieces of fossil related research I have ever come across. I'm looking forward to Kevin placing his entire ammonoid collection onto CD so that we can listen to 'March of the Goniatites' as we are browsing TONMO.

....Suture patterns of ammonoid cephalopods readily lend themselves to sonification. An ammonoid suture is the line of intersection between the edge of a folded septum (internal chamber wall) with the outer wall of the cephalopod shell. The sutures can be represented as wiggly lines in two dimensions (plotted in x-y space). As exemplified in virtually any invertebrate paleontology textbook, the various groups of ammonoids possess highly characteristic suture patterns, which have important taxonomic significance for identifying ammonoid taxa from subclass down to species level.

Without any prior listening experience, almost anyone should be able to differentiate between the sounds of the most common categories of ammonoid suture patterns, such as goniatitic, ceratitic and ammonitic sutures. For example, a typical goniatitic suture with smooth lobes and saddles (Figure 1, top) will render a simple melody line that rises and falls smoothly as the melody flows along. In contrast, a ceratitic suture with secondary crenulations in the lobes (Figure 1,middle) will yield a melody line that rises and falls with smooth slurs in the high parts and small trills in the lowparts. An ammonitic suture with complexly folded lobes and saddles (Figure 1, bottom) will produce a much more complex melody line that is embellished like a flashy cadenza as it flies up and down through the high and low registers.....

...continues....

Activity - Students were asked to try to recognize the various genera of ammonoids that were provided in labby listening to their sonified sutures. Also, they experimented with the theremin in an attempt to sonify the sutures of the three principle kinds of ammonoids (goniatites, ceratites and ammonites). First, computer-generated suture lines of a dozen common genera of shelled cephalopods were played for the class on an audio CD player, so that the students could hear what a sonified suture might sound like. By simply listening, everyone in the class was able to distinguish between the general categories of goniatitic, ceratitic and ammonitic suture patterns with 100 per cent accuracy. Further, they were able to identify the particular genera of ammonoids with an accuracy of about two out of three. Then the students were instructed to take turns with the theremin. Each student chose an ammonoid genus and played its suture on theremin for the rest of the class, and the other students were asked to determine which genus of ammonoid they were listening to. Again, the other students were able to identify the particular genera of ammonoids with an accuracy of about two out of three.

.....continues......

Kevin, this could run & run but I ain't gonna go there as I've already had my knuckles rapped for being immature on another fossiliferous forum :tomato: (like I care :lol:). Rumour has it I may soon post something interesting.

Keef

spartacus said:
I've already had my knuckles rapped for being immature on another fossiliferous forum :tomato:

Don't you worry, Mr Keef, sir. This isn't that forum....we all like a good laugh here. If you don't carry on posting irreverent stuff (as well as the 'good and true' stuff), I'll come round and arrange a peculiar display of Psiloceras planorbis in the shape of a mocking skull outside your front door in the middle of the night.

Well, I can't do it now can I? You'd know it was me. Maybe I'd better use a different ammonite to confuse you.

Cool ! why did I waste my time there ? just for that I'm definitely, without fail, gonna post some goodies from Normandy this w/e. hopefully:biggrin2:
Phil, you can stack as many Psiloceras planorbis outside my hovel as you like coz I ain't got one of them. Had a good trip to Longeville sur Mer on my birthday & came away with some goodstuff & a couple of bigguns besides but currently have absolutely no idea whatsoever what they are or when they were from other than Jurassic !

Keef

Most excellent, good sir. I shall look forward to seeing your latest Horns of Ammon. I can't guarantee being able to identify them (I've got a very poor history of that), but it's always fun trying.

(Just as well I've got to go out in a mo; I was tempted to knock up an Elvis Ammonite on photoshop for you).

Phil said:
(Just as well I've got to go out in a mo; I was tempted to knock up an Elvis Ammonite on photoshop for you).

Phil, you do know what "knock up" means over here on this side of the Pond, don't you? The mental image that you just conjured is, well, rather disturbing. Especially with the sideburns...

:elvis: :ammonite: :shock:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back