Dink - ?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I could not resist the temptation to try an Abdopus and with two open tanks (one I will leave empty for awhile) Live Aquaria's sale prompted a purchase. I have marked her as aculeatus but am not at all sure of the specific species (relatively comfortable with the abdopus complex though).

Sadly, I don't expect Dink to make it. She/he was very grey and the bag had an odor of something rotten. There were bits of shed or skin in the bag and she/he was not very responsive but did defend against my hand when I offered food. Breathing was not excessive and the water did not test high in nitrite (I did not test ammonia) but color was very grey. Her bag was sitting directly on the cold packs and I suspect this was the main issue as she looked a lot like the animal I lost that came in at 42 degrees and had been through a sever winter storm. She left CA around 8:00PM my time and I picked her up at 9:15 AM so transit time was not excessive. I did not expect her to be alive when I returned from work but she is still breathing but inactive against the back wall of the tank.

I am posting photos to show what you DON'T want to see as I believe journaling bad experiences and losses is as important as jounaling the successes.

Attachments

• conv_304522.jpg
    conv_304522.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 114
  • conv_304523.jpg
    conv_304523.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 100
  • conv_304524.jpg
    conv_304524.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 96
  • conv_304525.jpg
    conv_304525.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 114
HOW MANY TANKS DO YOU HAVE
On which day? :biggrin2:
I have three full time (two 60 + and one 37+ gallon tanks) dedicated octo tanks and one 45gallon can be (but is not always) octo tank (currently the home of Diego). Additionally, our largest (140 gallon) tank begs to be converted to a ceph tank and would be great for cuttles but I don't want to go through the first couple of months with them at this point (and Harry, our mandarin, would have to move and he has lived in the tank for several years). Then there is the 30 gallon anemone/clown tank, the 25 gallon nano, the 8 gallon mantis tank and one 15 gallon I have vowed to take down that currently houses some rock with an aptasia I can't kill off but can't bring myself to destroy the sponge and other interesting things on the rock so the tank (was my dwarf tank until I went larger) stays running and now houses that rock. Oh, and I keep a 2 gallon experimental/hitch hiker tank and a couple of 10 gallon feeder/rock not in use tanks and a 2 gallon FW crawfish set up and a pail for fiddlers ... I think that is all of them (at this the moment)

As I feared, Dink did not survive. She lived longer than I expected and was still alive (barely) when I got home this evening but died shortly afterwards. I have change the species ID on this one and will put a note on the ID request thread in hopes that Roy will make a suggestion. When she died I noticed that her siphon is fixed and located at the back of the head. I have not seen this arrangement before and thought only the GPO had a fixed funnel. Now I am wondering if she was a full adult of a dwarf species

Attachments

• conv_298521.jpg
    conv_298521.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 117
  • conv_298522.jpg
    conv_298522.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 112
  • conv_298523.jpg
    conv_298523.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 118

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back