Digmar - Octopus Macropus

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
I haven't been able to identify the little blue octo I saw in the LFS today. His mantle is about the size of a nickel. At rest he is a dark gray color with blue, very small spots all over. Almost teal colored spots. His tentacles look long for his size. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but thought I'd throw the description out here in case someone had any ideas.

Thanks!

If you are not pulling our collective leg, do some reading on blue rings and see if you find photos of your mystery animal. Blue rings do not show the rings unless aggitated but anything small with blue "spots" is likely something to avoid and the shop keeper needs to understand that the animal is dangerous. At TONMOcon II, the aquarists had to euthanize 20 that came in unordered and she made a comment that she would not have known the animals were blue rings when they arrived.

Most of Roy's great shots show the animal in its most attractive state.
I did a quick search to try to find one NOT in an aggitated state without too much success but did find some Teal coloration:
http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=403
Blue Ring Octopus Underwater Photography Tips

This video shows several of the species but trying to match your find would be difficult

Here is a picture of O. Bocki that I found on google image. Is this what your mystery octo looks like?

Attachments

• conv_296665.jpg
    conv_296665.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 105
Gee that got everyones attention! LOL! But no, I'm not pulling any legs here. It does look similar to that last pic but the blue spots are more uniform over it's body. The LFS says it's not a blue ring octo but . . . .

He's a tiny little bugger. I go by every day after work (5pm EST) so I'll snap a couple of pics on the way home and get them on here this evening. If I didn't have my hands full with cuttlefish chores I'd probably pick him up. (So long as it doesn't turn out to be the blue ring demon!)

dwhatley;159897 said:
anything small with blue "spots" is likely something to avoid and the shop keeper needs to understand that the animal is dangerous.

I read somewhere that not only do blue rings secret the venom into their saliva, but are also able to squirt it into the water like an ink cloud. Not really sure how that works, but I read that they can do this to a prey animal to subdue it without having to make physical contact. If this is possible and it happens in an aquarium, then your water is now filled with venom and it is no longer a matter of not getting bitten but keeping yourself and anything/anyone from getting the venom water on or inside them. Just something to think about if for someone thinking about keeping these.

dwhatley;159897 said:
At TONMOcon II, the aquarists had to euthanize 20 that came in unordered and she made a comment that she would not have known the animals were blue rings when they arrived.

That is soooo terrible. Those little guys didn't ask for that. I know they were probably just acting for the "greater good" and not wanting to risk any injuries or deaths, but that's still terrible. Twenty animals died for no no reason.

So my iPhone wouldn't take any pics worth posting. After watching the videos of the blue-ring octo I'm convinced that's not what this is. He tends to stay a dark gray color and I've seen him pulse his tentacles white/gray when irritated. He is from Nicaragua if that helps with an ID. I can see small speckles all over that at times stand out more. Again very long tentacles for his size.

I also do not think it's an O. Bocki as he hasn't displayed any red color at all like the pics I've seen.

I'll try to get better pics tomorrow morning.

Nicarauga takes away concerns as I don't think we have anything by way of an octopus that is deadly in this hemisphere but now instills major interest. Hopefully you have a camera to bring tomorrow. We so rarely see "different" species (albeit we are seeing more this year than in any year I remember). Very interesting find, please keep posting.

Ok, I have to admit it. Pictures will be easier as I brought him home with me. I couldn't resist. Technically my wife only asked if there would be a new octo in the tank when she got home and since it was a good hour after she got here that he made it in the tank, I should be in the clear. Right? :smile:

Anyway, he's doing a good bit of hiding and this is the best I can get tonight. You can see his dark coloring and the greenish-teal speckles. They get brighter blue at times.

I'll try to get better shots tomorrow.

ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs

YES!, I was hoping you would do that :biggrin2:, I could tell you were close!

Hummm, just looked at the picture. What sized tank is it in? Those "blue spots" are ... ummm sort of familiar looking and go well with the long arms ... of a very common species. Better shots are in order but my first look suggest briareus. They have what almost seems to be a second skin with fluorescent green dots but the dots don't really seem to expand. This is Kooah's final measurement picture so it is sad but you can see how the green spots are appear to be on a separate layer of skin. The second of these two shots shows the green look clearly. Oddly with the naked eye, she was not that green.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back