Digmar - Octopus Macropus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Reef Geek, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Reef Geek

Reef Geek O. vulgaris Supporter

I haven't been able to identify the little blue octo I saw in the LFS today. His mantle is about the size of a nickel. At rest he is a dark gray color with blue, very small spots all over. Almost teal colored spots. His tentacles look long for his size. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but thought I'd throw the description out here in case someone had any ideas.

Thanks!

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

If you are not pulling our collective leg, do some reading on blue rings and see if you find photos of your mystery animal. Blue rings do not show the rings unless aggitated but anything small with blue "spots" is likely something to avoid and the shop keeper needs to understand that the animal is dangerous. At TONMOcon II, the aquarists had to euthanize 20 that came in unordered and she made a comment that she would not have known the animals were blue rings when they arrived.

Most of Roy's great shots show the animal in its most attractive state.
    I did a quick search to try to find one NOT in an aggitated state without too much success but did find some Teal coloration:
    http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=403
    http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/blue-ring-octopus/

This video shows several of the species but trying to match your find would be difficult

3. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious now! let's get some pictures!

4. OctoBass

OctoBass Larval Mass Registered

I can't wait to see this. Get to it.

5. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

Here here. Pictures please.

6. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

More likely something like O. bocki which has blue spots.

ROy

7. skywindsurfer

Here is a picture of O. Bocki that I found on google image. Is this what your mystery octo looks like?

Attached Files:

8. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

That is one of my photos from Moorea. Here is another O. bocki with blue spots showing.

Attached Files:

9. Reef Geek

Gee that got everyones attention! LOL! But no, I'm not pulling any legs here. It does look similar to that last pic but the blue spots are more uniform over it's body. The LFS says it's not a blue ring octo but . . . .

He's a tiny little bugger. I go by every day after work (5pm EST) so I'll snap a couple of pics on the way home and get them on here this evening. If I didn't have my hands full with cuttlefish chores I'd probably pick him up. (So long as it doesn't turn out to be the blue ring demon!)

10. skywindsurfer

I read somewhere that not only do blue rings secret the venom into their saliva, but are also able to squirt it into the water like an ink cloud. Not really sure how that works, but I read that they can do this to a prey animal to subdue it without having to make physical contact. If this is possible and it happens in an aquarium, then your water is now filled with venom and it is no longer a matter of not getting bitten but keeping yourself and anything/anyone from getting the venom water on or inside them. Just something to think about if for someone thinking about keeping these.

That is soooo terrible. Those little guys didn't ask for that. I know they were probably just acting for the "greater good" and not wanting to risk any injuries or deaths, but that's still terrible. Twenty animals died for no no reason.

11. Reef Geek

Yeah, I def will not be keeping any deadly critters. Too much risk and I still have kids at home.

12. Reef Geek

So my iPhone wouldn't take any pics worth posting. After watching the videos of the blue-ring octo I'm convinced that's not what this is. He tends to stay a dark gray color and I've seen him pulse his tentacles white/gray when irritated. He is from Nicaragua if that helps with an ID. I can see small speckles all over that at times stand out more. Again very long tentacles for his size.

I also do not think it's an O. Bocki as he hasn't displayed any red color at all like the pics I've seen.

I'll try to get better pics tomorrow morning.

13. DWhatley

Nicarauga takes away concerns as I don't think we have anything by way of an octopus that is deadly in this hemisphere but now instills major interest. Hopefully you have a camera to bring tomorrow. We so rarely see "different" species (albeit we are seeing more this year than in any year I remember). Very interesting find, please keep posting.

14. Reef Geek

Ok, I have to admit it. Pictures will be easier as I brought him home with me. I couldn't resist. Technically my wife only asked if there would be a new octo in the tank when she got home and since it was a good hour after she got here that he made it in the tank, I should be in the clear. Right? :)

Anyway, he's doing a good bit of hiding and this is the best I can get tonight. You can see his dark coloring and the greenish-teal speckles. They get brighter blue at times.

I'll try to get better shots tomorrow.

http://img267.imageshack.us/f/octo3.jpg/

15. DWhatley

YES!, I was hoping you would do that :grin:, I could tell you were close!

Hummm, just looked at the picture. What sized tank is it in? Those "blue spots" are ... ummm sort of familiar looking and go well with the long arms ... of a very common species. Better shots are in order but my first look suggest briareus. They have what almost seems to be a second skin with fluorescent green dots but the dots don't really seem to expand. This is Kooah's final measurement picture so it is sad but you can see how the green spots are appear to be on a separate layer of skin. The second of these two shots shows the green look clearly. Oddly with the naked eye, she was not that green.

16. Reef Geek

My last Octo was Briareus and I never noticed the green spots. Also the coloring is very different when at rest. Perhaps it's different when they are very young?

Currently it's in 20g but I have a 40g that I'll be moving him to.

I just can't get over how this thing is always gray. I just woke up for some strange reason and had to go peek. I'm curious if he's a night-walker. But he was tucked away and just peeking at me when I shined the light in. The other thing that strikes me as different is the eyes. The pupil is a very thin slit very different than my previous octo. Perhaps it's the dark coloring that makes them stand out but the green spots are very prominent right now over the entire body and arms.

17. DWhatley

I hope I am wrong because of the space issue and because it would be nice to see a different species. My first impressions are not particularly accurate and I have only been exposed to a couple of species. Look at the linked pictures and see if the green spots are similar. Briareus is supposed to be visible with a flashlight at night underwater but none of mine seemed to show this reflection so it may be that the ones in the keys are slightly different than the ones further south. However, I have noticed that the camera would pickup the green that I did not see just looking at the animal. Grey is an odd color for briareus though, usually they are either a peach or white. I am glad you got him so we can see what he will turn out to be. Hopefully Roy will continue looking in and you can get a good photo as I believe he has collected octos from that general area and may enlighten us.

Would you consider posting photos directly to the site instead of just linking? Click advanced and then Manage Attachements (below the text editor) to open the window that will let you download from your computer.

18. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

19. DWhatley

Good memory cuttlegirl, I had forgotten about those. I think we tentively IDed them as hummelincki on the top and some form of macropus on the bottom. Unfortunately, one of the big features of the macropus is the very red color they can show. Quite stunning if you ever get to see it but with the red lighting I had to use, I never even saw puddles nicest displays in their true colors. Looking back at the picture and remembering one of my comments on how much they look like briareus, it could well be one of the macropuses.

Here is a link to Puddles journal, see if this one looks closer to your new friend. It won't be exact but could easily be in the same complex is it can show a bold red (note the acclimation photo - the only really red one I have of him). You can also look at Beldar's journal for additinional comparison. Both the male (Puddles) and female (Beldar) were very human friendly (as long as you could be up at 3:00 AM) and were two of my favorites.

20. Reef Geek

Wow, this is turning into a wonderful learning experience.

I initially tried directly attaching my photo without success. I'll try again with your instructions.

The first pic from Cuttlegirl's link looks remarkably close regarding the spots along the legs. Though I have yet to see any other colors than gray or white. My new octo (let's name this guy shall we?) seems to have more of a rounded mantle than what Puddles was showing in the pics you have. I think he's still settling in as he hasn't appeared to be more active during the day or night. I was up around 2:30am and he was still securely wedged in the rocks and just watching me. Which is pretty much what he did during the day at the LFS also.

Ok, it's too busy at work. It's taken me 2 hours to put this much together. I'll try to get more pics this evening and see what new info I find.

Thanks for all your help!