Differentiating between O. Hummelincki and O. Maya.

From what I found researching Maya (who was O.hummelincki), O. maya is a larger octopus (vulgaris sized or larger), large egged, no color to its eye spot and common in Mexico as a food source. O. hummelincki is a small octopus (but not considered dwarf. We are seeing small to medium sizes with the males seeming larger and the females appearing dwarf sized as a general rule of thumb), small egged, has a two color eyespot (yellow ring around blue) and is typically found in the Caribbean, often from Hati.

We have never had a journal with an O. maya.

Upvote 0
I've read a lot about them being farm raised in Mexico near the Yucatan peninsula. I've never come across the information about the eye spots having no color though. I was wondering about the size. I've read that hey are larger then the Hummelincki but no reference to exact size that I could recall. I have seen several large Hummelincki/Maya, about the size of a baseball, at my LFS. That got me wondering if they could be O. Maya or just large O. Hummelincki. I've heard that the size of the Hummelincki varies greatly though. Are there any features other than the colorless eye spots and the obvious size difference that tell these two species apart? My LFS says they get their octopus from a supplier some where in the Caribbean, but will not say from where. They also say they can try and get a specific species if that is what you want.

Upvote 0
I've looked up several pictures of both Hummelincki and Maya, and I think there is color difference with the suckers. The Hummelincki's all seem to have purple suckers, while the Maya's have white colorless suckers. Does anyone have any input on this.

Upvote 0
Here are some interesting pictures I found of an O. Maya someone caught.

Attachments

• conv_296657.jpg
    conv_296657.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 138
  • conv_296658.jpg
    conv_296658.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 142
  • conv_296659.jpg
    conv_296659.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back