• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Differences in Shrimp

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Local farmers market has 3 different types of shrimp for sale. One is white shrimp. I am assuming this is farm raised and a freshwater shrimp? Second is Tiger shrimp. I am hoping this is saltwater but not sure. Third is shrimp with head, looks like white shrimp again. Kringle took the tiger shrimp with gusto last night. I bought more blue crabs but have separated the claws from the bodies and cut the bodies in quarters. Now I'm curious what the difference is between the Tiger Shrimp and the White Shrimp. I seem to remember the white shrimp being compared to candy for an octopus and that the nutritional value was not that great.

I am interested too. I buy the ones with heads on, cheaper. It takes more work and kind of icky but I don't mind. No chore too much for my little guys. I hope these are good and nutritious. However I do alternate foods but want to feed the best possible.

I keep trying to find definitive food value differences between fresh and saltwater animals and have started a thread but it gets little attention. What I have been able to find out is that farm raised (aka fresh water shrimp that is sold for human consumption) are actually saltwater shrimp raised in freshwater ponds. One of the commenters on the food comparison thread felt that food nutrition in animals like this is often dependent on what they are fed but types of fat in the pond raised should not change by raising them in brackish ponds. Taste, however, is much milder and may be why they are often rejected.

Not sure of the biological difference between tiger shrimp and normal white shrimp is, but I know they are saltwater shrimp and they taste great!

This is from Wikipedia

* Pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei, also called "whiteleg shrimp") is the main species cultivated in western countries. Native to the Pacific coast from Mexico to Peru, it grows to a size of 23 cm. L. vannamei accounts for 95% of the production in Latin America. It is easy to breed in captivity, but succumbs to the Taura disease.

* Giant tiger prawn (P. monodon, also known as "black tiger shrimp") occurs in the wild in the Indian Ocean and in the Pacific Ocean from Japan to Australia. The largest of all the cultivated shrimp, it can grow to a length of 36 cm and is farmed in Asia. Because of its susceptibility to whitespot disease and the difficulty of breeding it in captivity, it is gradually being replaced by L. vannamei since 2001.

Together, these two species account for about 80% of the whole farmed shrimp production.[15] Other species being bred are:
Kuruma shrimp in an aquaculture observation tank in Taiwan.

* Western blue shrimp (P. stylirostris) was a popular choice for shrimp farming in the western hemisphere, until the IHHN virus wiped out nearly the whole population in the late 1980s. A few stocks survived and became resistant against this virus. When it was discovered that some of these were also resistant against the Taura virus, some farms again bred P. stylirostris from 1997 on.

* Chinese white shrimp (P. chinensis, also known as the fleshy prawn) occurs along the coast of China and the western coast of Korea and is being farmed in China. It grows to a maximum length of only 18 cm, but tolerates colder water (min. 16 °C). Once a major factor on the world market, it is today used almost exclusively for the Chinese domestic market after a disease wiped out nearly all the stocks in 1993.

* Kuruma shrimp (P. japonicus) is farmed primarily in Japan and Taiwan, but also in Australia; the only market is in Japan, where live Kuruma shrimp reach prices of the order of US$100 per pound ($220/kg).

* Indian white shrimp (P. indicus) is a native of the coasts of the Indian Ocean and is widely bred in India, Iran and the Middle East and along the African shores.

* Banana shrimp (P. merguiensis) is another cultured species from the coastal waters of the Indian Ocean, from Oman to Indonesia and Australia. It can be grown at high densities.

Several other species of Penaeus play only a very minor role in shrimp farming. Some other kinds of shrimp also can be farmed, e.g. the "Akiami paste shrimp" or Metapenaeus spp. Their total production from aquaculture is of the order of only about 25,000 tonnes per year, small in comparison to that of the penaeids.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back