• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Did i do this right!!!

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Hey everyone, i just bought a protein skimmer (AquaC Remora). I know that the help u can give me are very limited on this so i dont expect much, but if there is anything that u can tell me about the setup of my skimmer would be appreciated.

p.s- i used a Maxi-Jet 1200 pump.

as i haven't used that model im not 100% but it does look like you set it up properly...

let me guess the next question though!!!! LOL

It wont produce a decent amount of bubbles and waste until it is broken in. That means that if you switch it on, for a few days it will bubble away and no skimmate will be produced, that's mostly because there isn't actually very much to take out the water. A skimmer comes into its own in a tank that has cycled and that has livestock in it. Your mollies are too small to make much of an impact on a skimmer.

So, you dont even need to switch it on just now as we are only just cycling the tank... however, i think this is a really important piece of equipment and it will save you at some point :smile:

thanks for the input :biggrin2: (lol good call on the question i was gonna ask!). I have my skimmer on right now and it makes alot of noise and there are a countless number of tiny bubbles in my tank (i THINK that is to be expected) :?: .
Anyways im leaving for a one week vacation tomarow. Do i need to worry about someone watching my tank at this point in the "process"?
How about my fish will they need feeding while i am gone?
Should i leave my skimmer on to get it broken in?

A little off the topic but... I bought a magnetic algae scrubber today and i was wondering if it is cool if i leave one piece of it in the water? the directions say to keep it "moist"

thanks

Things in tanks

I would not leave things in that are not serving a useful purpose (sorry, gnomes :x :bonk: etc.). Something could leach out or get chewed, and magnets in particular will corrode if exposed to water!

Just a note on the bubbles escaping into the tank...I know that's a problem some folks have with skimmers. THankfully, as far as I know, it's not actually a PROBLEM...but some folks don't like little bubbles clinging to the live rock and such. I don't know about the Remoras, but some skimmers such as my Bak-Pak come with optional attachments meant to prevent bubbles from leaking out. One way or the other, I'm sure you can cut down on the bubbles if they're annoying you.

rusty

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back