Devils advocate or just plain ignorant?

Steve O'Shea;90867 said:
One of the postgrads here, Ann Bui, did a survey of heavy metal contamination in snapper, kahawai and school shark last year. She found excessive levels of cadmium, copper, zinc and lead in BOTH FISH FILLET AND LIVER tissues from fish collected in Manukau Harbour and Hobson Bay, Waitemata Harbour - two very popular fishing spots.

Check out the mecury levels in trout from the volcanic plateau area - particularly Rotorua, Taupo & downstream Waikato River. The levels have been well known since the 1960s but strangely the studies have never been widely publicised. From memory the amount of fish that is safe to eat from some of the Rotorua lakes is less than 30 gm per day, 120 g/d from Taupo: you don't read that in the travel posters! . . . . and we won't even mention the radioactive isotopes derived from burning coal and dumping the residue ash waste which leached into the Waikato River- one (apocryphal?) story is that a :shock: student sent samples overseas for testing on a whim and the testers contacted them urgently saying the Nuclear Powerstation upstream must have a leak. Any thought of testing your fish samples for isotopes?

M, thanks for the tip; no, we haven't done that yet. Greg, those lentils look might appealing don't they.

What does a lentil look like in fish nets?

I am switching from a carbon-based life form to silicon, and no longer need oxygen. I have bacteria in my mouth that convert filth air into food.

What can I eat? Harvesting wheat kills tens of thousands of field mice, growing lentils takes up valuable habitat, now lost to insects and small mammals. Wild fruits and nuts only? (Please pass on my apologies a priori to my friends the fruitbats)

Five years ago or so, a friend who works in a lab for Game and Fish started noticing high levels of pollutants in the farm raised trout and smallmouth bass...all of which are released in Arizona lakes and streams for gamefishing.

The levels were....500X the EPA limit. 500 times. :shock:

We are lucky enough to live near a "natural/organic" food store, with locally grown and raised produce, some of the farmer's a friends of mine, which gives us a bit more of a feeling of safety, but still...

sorseress;91852 said:
There is not one legimate reason to hunt seals.

other than food or clothing. wait heres an idea! seal ranches. by eating them from ranches farmers would breed more and thus contribute to the overall population. it worked for the americann bison

myopsida;91886 said:
How can you justify eating one steer if it has been raised on fish meal made from many thousands of prawns/krill/fish? The best conservation is to eat the lower trophic levels. The argument for eating large individual animals to satisfy several people in one meal also is wrong - we should eat the small fish, leaving the breeding stock.

last i checked there wasn't exactly a shortage of krill:roll:

i could be wrong

There's also no shortage of natural krill predators, large and small, that should be eating the krill before we get anywhere near it.

Bob the kracken;91974 said:
last i checked there wasn't exactly a shortage of krill:roll:

i could be wrong

There's an enormous krill fishery in Antarctic waters these days. Yes, we are fishing down the food chain, further afield and deeper.

Bob, you shall inherit a biological desert, and will soon be eating bacteria patties.

Steve O'Shea;91998 said:
There's an enormous krill fishery in Antarctic waters these days. Yes, we are fishing down the food chain, further afield and deeper.

Bob, you shall inherit a biological desert, and will soon be eating bacteria patties.

Ouch! Smackdown!:razz:

Okay, that might have been somewhat impolite of me...

Steve O'Shea;91998 said:

this reminds me of the global cooling scare in the 70's. no offence, just expressing my opinion.

There is also phenomenon called global dimming; I always assumed this was a description of the constantly developing intellectual qualities of human environmental decision making :wink:

Tsk, tsk, naughty Amaltal Fisheries (and once again, the Talley name!).

Is one company bring all into disrepute? We seem to hear a lot about this Talley lot down under!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back