Devils advocate or just plain ignorant?

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by Steve O'Shea, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

You be the judge.

As far as I am concerned this is sickening!

Click here.

If you have a spare 11 mins (or so), watch this video ..... you'll see the man himself (Talley that is) ... and a few unhappy conservationists! (Click beneath the picture.)

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Wow, bold words. What a jackass.

3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Whoa. After reading the article, I am not sure I could stomach the video.

4. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

it's not like this a government official... he owns a seafood company, big deal... he's still bound by the laws... let him speak his peace...

interesting how the synopsis at the top ranked these issues... and what is mmp?

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

MMP, stand for "mixed member proportional" it's the way we elect our government. Generally, the way it works is we vote for the member of parliament and also the party we want (which isn't necessarily the one our preferred member belongs to!). The member with the most votes is elected to a seat and depending on how many votes each party gets they'll also have a certain number of non electorate members taken from a party list, the so called "list MP's" 'tis very confusing!!!

As for Peter Talleys talk :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: fur seal diet studies show that these animals target very few commercial fish species and as for whaling..............................:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And yes WK of course he's entitled to his opinion but he really need to do his research BEFORE he spouts off! Often the way quota's get assigned in NZ means that fishing companies get the last access to the Minister who sets quota's so actually this chap and others like him have a great deal of influence over these issues, but they are completely blinkered by commercial concerns. This is the same man who said that there is absolutely no evidence to show that bottom trawling does any damage!!!!!

J

6. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Do you think that if we sent Mr. Talley an anonymous letter informing him that 'Ph'nglui inglw'naf Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah' nagl fhtagn' is a magic spell for getting rid of seals and greenies, he'd bite?

MMP = mixed-member parliament, our governing system. Until the stars are right, anyway. :cthulhu:

7. Heather Braid

Heather Braid O. vulgaris Supporter

Wow, I find it terrifying that there is a man like that and that he's talking to high school kids, why would anyone let him do that?

8. Steve O'Shea

Well, feedback is mixed ....

9. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

What a D.S.

10. Steve O'Shea

11. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I'm with you. I couldn't watch it after reading his obscene comments. I'll bet his company violates all kinds of regs.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. Steve O'Shea

The video is an old 20/20 piece we did in 2005

13. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Ok...didn't watch, just read the accompanying article.( The tv and computer are in the same room, and my husband is watching.) I guess we can say about that Talley monster, once and ass always an ass.

14. WhiteKiboko

Honestly, when i read the kill and eating seals bit... i laughed because this man is just trying to get someone's goat...

15. Steve O'Shea

.... and an update on the Talley tyrade.

As an aside, more bad news for seals, this time in Canada.

Sometimes I do feel like becoming a vegetarian!

16. WhiteKiboko

as for the canadian hunt, as long as it's well managed, closely watched and most importantly - sustainable, i say let them do their thing...

the anti seal hunt mob is the posterchild for 'save an animal because it's cute' category...

17. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Humans find it hard to survive on greens alone. To wish to eat an animal, you will need to kill the animal, or alternatively amputate it, reducing its q.o.l. greatly in the process.

I am willing to kill or have killed an animal for food, provided it's done swiftly and with limited stress or pain, it had a good life up to the moment of death (anthropomorphism, I know, but we're not that physiologically distinct for the most part) and I don't take its entire habitat with it, that's just a basic premise. I take up a substantial amount of habitat by existing in a developed, mechanised society. As people we will have a great impact on our surroundings, BUT DOES IT REALLY HAVE TO BE SO MUCH MORE THAN IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY????

The return of all caps Olaf "500,000,000 people looks like historically sufficient for one planet" Blaauw

18. Tintenfisch

For me, the size of the animal is also important. If you kill one steer, many people can be fed, several times, from that one death. A salad with prawns, or baby octopus, involves the taking of many lives (some of which may be left on the plate and thrown away!!), and probably won't even fill one person, once! This is one of my main reasons for avoiding seafood. (Edit: Many of) the animals are just too small.

:twocents:

19. Cairnos

Cairnos O. vulgaris Registered

Some of them aren't that small, for example toothfish, black spotted groper and some of the tunas. Of course harvesting larger animals tends to be linked to sustainability concerns.

With all food animals there is also the factor of how efficiently it is used i.e we can feed more people on fewer animals if we use as much of each one as possible.

One interesting point I've noticed people have different views on is whether intentionally raising an animal for slaughter or taking one that has lived it's lilfe in the wild (assuming no sustainability concerns) is more 'right'. I have heard arguments both ways.

20. Tintenfisch

True. But with fish like tuna, there are many other issues, such as whether we should be removing a top predator from the ecosystem, and I believe the heavy metal levels in tuna flesh (concentrated up the trophic levels) are now so high that they are not actually recommended for regular human consumption any more?