• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Detrivores

I've seen them have 2 types of sprays, one sticky goo strip and if the first one fails, the gut throw, the predatore gets to have a meal and the cucumber lives.

Adiver said:
hmmm....what kind of cucs would be ok for a 58 gal tank? or what kind of animals would be ok with my octo?

Having never kept a cucumber with an octopus, I wouldn't know, but as far as the other animals go: it really is up to each octopus...some eat snails, some don't...I've never had a problem with brittle stars, and a few tonmoers have had some luck with seahorses! It really depends so much on the octo's temperment, you have to kind of "feel" your way through...just part of the fun !
greg

Yesterday I put in 50 shore shrimp into my octo tank and let me just say, these will surely become food but in the meanwhile are being an INCREDIBLE clean up crew. I was shocked with how much of the algae they cleaned off the back of my tank in just one night. Despite them not being very attractive, I am really thinking about putting some of them in my reef tank just to clean up since they do such an awesome job.

I also put a 'pincushion urchin' in the tank. So far he is just kind of hiding! I think hes cool but I bought him without being 100% sure of compatibility. Anyone got any experience with these guys at all?

Robert

Hi Robert,

I found the same thing with those little shrimp. They do a wonderful job of scavenging. My adult bimac would eat 50 in one or two days, but there were always a few smart ones that survived.

Maybe they're not colorful or beautiful but they add movement and activity in an octo tank. I even adopted one as a pet and it was interesting to watch and feed. It had lost a pincer but the pincer eventually grew back.

About the urchin - tt's not so good to have an urchin with sharp spines because the octo can injure himself - the pencil urchin is the best.

Nancy

nope. while diving ive seen REALLY cool things though...i've dived quite a bit in La Jolla, CA and they just have the COOLEST animals. I've seen amazing Bimacs there that were pretty big, lots of nudibranchs, a giant sea bass (HUGE 400 lbs + and REALLY endangered), a harbour seal decided it would find its way into the canyon and kiss me on my arm, beautiful starfish and cucs as well as a breeding ground of live purple sand dollars...there must have been at least 200,000 of them in the most vibrant and beautiful purple i have ever seen...just my .02

If you find a ecxptionaly good day while diving in HK, you can expect about 20-25 feet visibilty, calm water and no large poisonus jellies.
You can see some awsome aggresive clown fish, large cucs and sea stars and some small fish. If you're lucky, you can see sting rays, sea turtles, large groupers, puffers, squid, octos, cuttles breams and flatfish. Edible stuff inculdes large scallops, welks and the large fish I was talking about if you have a spear gun or sharp pionty stakes. :wink: If you're really lucky, you might see a shark, dolphines or even the whale shark if your diving in the outlying islands. :shock:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back