Desperately Seeking Poem (Non-Ceph but Aquatic)

tonmo said:
In fact, here's an MP3 version of that song for your listening enjoyment. Don't let the jerky start fool you, that's by design.

One of my favorites!

Yummy's Jellyfish - nearly 5 megs

Great original lyrics (don't know how they got that "blowfish" pun past the media censors 8) ), great guitar work, unimpressive melody -- a little too "generic heavy metal". Actually I liked the slow bridge section and coda better because they sounded more "jellyfish-y" than the rest. (I've always seemed to associate jellyfish and nudibranchs with dreamy, spacey, New Age type music, I guess because of the visual "lava lamp" effect.)

I love the idea of "peanut butter and jellyfish".... wonder if that song was released before or after SPONGEBOB?

(I can just see Clem curled up in fetal position right now!)

Thanks for sharing the song,
Tani

don't know how they got that "blowfish" pun past the media censors
Oh, their songs are rife with it, that's pretty much the only song that could possibly be shared here... I let it through on artistic license... :wink:

That was released well before Spongebob... unfortunately they are no longer a band... the guitarist died of a heroin overdose, as I understand it. Shame, they were a very, very entertaining show.

For some of the more... raunchy offerings, visit their site:

Yummy

Tony, thanks for the links to Yummy. This is delightful! I'm only sorry I can't see them now.

Tani, I have a copy of Belloc's Cautionary Tales for Children, with gorey illustrations. Few better combinations exist! The contents include "Franklin Hyde, who caroused in the Dirt and was corrected by his Uncle." and "Algernon, who played with a Loaded Gun, and, on missing his Sister, was reprimanded by his Father." The only drwwback is that is contains nary a cephalopod.

Melissa

TaningiaDanae said:
(I can just see Clem curled up in fetal position right now!)

Taningia,

Coiled like a feeding tentacle, more like it.

Thanks to Kevin (Architeuthoceras), I've been able to read "Jackal of the Deep," a supremely purple bit of prose by one Paul Annixter. In this short story, a female sperm whale engages in an epic wrestling match with an über-squid. Annixter's description of the squid is worthy of a radio play:

This one was a giant of his kind. His mighty tentacles were as big around as flagpoles, each of them thirty-five feet long. They sprouted like the stalks of a turnip from a bleached and bulbous body fully as large as that of the cachalot, and shaped like a Zeppelin. The center of this grisly mass was a gaping, senile-looking mouth with an overhanging, parrot-like beak, on either side of which glared two lidless eyes of awful and appalling blackness.

Annixter's attempts to generate an aura of menace are undercut by his mingling of the dire (Zeppelin) and not-so-dire (turnip), and the dimensions of his "devilfish" are preposterous, but the story does have a fun pulp sensibility. Mama physeter amputates the squid's arms ("covered with round sucking discs, studded with black curved claws...") one by one, until the squid quits the scene and the whale is forced to surface before suffocating. Meanwhile, mama's calf is menaced by a spiteful pilot fish named Romero and his pal, a monstrous, 35-foot Grey Nurse shark.

Setting aside the squid's size and the dubious arrangement of its beak, Annixter describes something not unlike Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, the colossal squid. His story has resonances with Benchley's "Beast," in which a sperm whale and her calf have a run-in with a falsified Architeuthis, but also recalls an apocryphal tale in which a sperm whale calf is said to have been drowned and dragged under by a monster squid (while mama watched helplessly). I imagine young Peter Benchley reading Paul Annixter's story in his Benet-edited volumes, tucking the images away for future reference.

:roll:

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back